It is led by country teams in Ethiopia, Nigeria and Tanzania, supported by Context Global Development and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
IMAGE provides the opportunity to leverage past monitoring pilots and for cross-country learnings while advancing genetic reference libraries, establishing protocol adoption, and building towards institutionalization over five years. This is done through six objectives:
- Comparable estimates of varietal adoption and turnover will be generated and made available to stakeholders
- Standardization of best-practices and supporting technologies
- Establishment of sustainable business cases
- Pilot study results on varietal identity preservation in seed value chains for each country-crop combination
- Institutionalized system of varietal monitoring for long-term, sustainable national partner implementation
- Generated data used by seed sector stakeholders to make key decisions