The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking on the behalf “CIMMYT” a highly qualified Breeding Specialist Support Specialist who will be based in Dakar, Senegal. S/He will work under the supervision of the Mechanization Support Specialist-East & South Africa.
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is a leading pan-African rice research organization committed to improving livelihoods in Africa through strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is a CGIAR Research Center. It is also an intergovernmental association of 28 African member countries, with headquarters in Côte d’Ivoire.
Under the direct supervision of the Mechanization Support Specialist- East & South Africa, the Breeding Operation Support Specialist will help CGIAR institutions and national agricultural research systems (NARS) to improve their breeding operations.
He/She will conduct activities with specific tasks that include, but are not limited to:
- Visit CGIAR/NARES research stations and identify gaps and opportunities to improve adoption of T&N (Trialing & Nursery) services. Assessing capacity and customers challenges to implement T&N services/recommendations;
- Lead capacity development initiatives in the region to increase adoption of T&N services, improve effectiveness of T&N services;
- Provide first support to customers of T&N services.
- Connecting customers with specialists (consultants, engineers, etc..);
- Implement T&N projects in the region (pilots, infrastructure projects managed by T&N, etc);
- Promote T&N Services & Support in his/her region;
- Stakeholder engagement with breeding leads, initiative leads, center leadership to ensure smooth operation and/or coordination of T&N Services & Support;
- Supporting CGIAR/NARES breeding Networks, centers, and research stations to improve Trialing & Nursery operations by:
- Support the development of improvement plans in all areas related to Trialing & Nursery scope;
- Support the development of CAPEX investment plan/proposals;
- Support the development and implementation of capacity development plan;
- Ensure CGIAR/NARES breeding networks will have access to shared services in the scope of T&N, such as:
- High-throughput Phenotyping
- Engineering services
- Agronomic support
- Build and maintain strong relationships with partners and stakeholders.
- Ensuring that risks management are considered in the delivery of the assigned duties and responsibilities.
Education: Master’s degree in field of plant science, agronomy, agriculture engineering.
Work experience and key competencies required:
- +10 years of experience in plant breeding, breeding operations, or operations
management in the agriculture sector;
- Relevant experience in the agriculture sector;
- Strong knowledge of mechanization technologies, irrigation systems, and farm equipment. Familiarity with relevant software tools. 2 HRO 2016;
- Experience working in a multicultural environment;
- Experience extension programs/ service delivery;
- Experience and knowledge of agricultural mechanization stakeholder landscape in Africa;
- This position requires availability to travel 30-50% of the time to Africa, especially West and Central Africa;
- Good reporting and communication skills in English (working language);
- Knowledge of the French language is an advantage;
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Problem-solving and decision-making, client orientation, negotiation and conflict resolution, communication, and teamwork.
Fluency (oral and written) in either English or French with a good working knowledge of the other.
Terms and Conditions
- This is an Regionally recruited position.
- AfricaRice provides an attractive international salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender‐sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for one (1) year with the possibility for renewal based on performance and availability of funding.
How to apply
1. To apply, click on the following link: http://jobs.africarice.org
2. Create an account if you are a new user, if not log on with your credentials to access active
vacancies select “Breeding Operation Support Specialist”
3. Follow the step by step application procedure
Our recruitment platform has been updated. In order to stay informed of vacancies, we invite
you to create your account on this new platform.
Only online applications will be considered (If you encounter any technical issue on the
career site during your application, or you are prevented to proceed with your application
until its final completion: Please kindly revert to us along with the screenshot of the issue
through this email: africariceHR@cgiar.org). Applications are not allowed through this
Not later than 12th December 2023
AfricaRice promotes equal opportunities and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to
excellence. We thank all candidates, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more
information on AfricaRice, please visit our website at: www.AfricaRice.org