- Alexei Morgounov (CIMMYT, Turkey) summarized Genetic protection of wheat from rusts and development of resistant varieties in Russia and Ukraine.
- Following presentation by Ekaterina Skolotneva (Russia) was focused on Virulence and molecular characterization of Puccinia triticina and Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici populations in Russia.
- Robert Park (Australia) talked about progress and challenges of Intenational surveillance of wheat rust pathogens.
- Present status and future outlook of improving wheat stripe rust resistance in Central Asia and the Caucasus was reported by Zafar Ziyaev (Uzbekistan)
- Colin Wellings (Australia) presented Global status of stripe rust and Julio Huerta-Espino (Mexico) Global status of wheat leaf rust
- Morning session was closed by Z. S. Kang (China) who summarized Status of wheat rust research and control in China
Afternoon session was focused on ‘Global Climate change: Projected Impacts on Rust Epidemiology’:
- Implications of climate change for diseases, crop yields and food security were described by Adrian C. Newton (UK)
- Sukumar Chakraborty (Australia) presented projections on Rust-proofing Wheat for a Changing Climate.
- and David Hodson (FAO, Italy) pictured the Shifting boundaries: Challenges for rust monitoring
The day ended by discussion moderated by Kathie Kahn on ‘Management of Major Genes and Minor Genes’ (recording of the presentations and discussions will be available on http://www.globalrust.org) in week or two.