- This event has passed.
Book launch: Sustainable intensification of maize-legume systems for food security in eastern and southern Africa (SIMLESA)
September 9, 2021 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
On September 9, 2021, the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) and stakeholders in the region will convene online and at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, to launch the 26-chapter book that reveals the results of SIMLESA and identifies possible ways forward for sustainable intensification.
For almost a decade, ACIAR brokered and invested in an ambitious, multidisciplinary applied research program in eastern and southern Africa dubbed Sustainable Intensification of Maize–Legume cropping systems for food security in Eastern and Southern Africa (SIMLESA).
From 2000-2019, SIMLESA was managed by the ACIAR commissioned organization, CIMMYT, and implemented by National Agricultural Research System (NARS) partners in seven eastern and southern African countries (Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda) in collaboration with a number of technical partners, including the University of Queensland, Murdoch University, the Agricultural Research Council of South Africa, the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), ILRI and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT).
The flagship program demonstrated to farmers, businesspeople, policymakers and ministers the promise and opportunity of conservation agriculture-based sustainable intensification.
At the launch, the editors will explain their motivation to make this book a reality, and a panel of authors will bring in their points of view on the book applicability within the region.
The book will serve as a reference for those studying African agricultural science and food security. It will also be of interest to Australian and international scientists who wish to support the development of African farming and food systems.
- Dr Siboniso Moyo, Deputy Director General Representative of the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) Ethiopia
- Professor Andrew Campbell, CEO of the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR)
- Dr Bram Govaerts, Director General of the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT)
- Hon Oumer Hassan, Minister of Agriculture, Ethiopia
- H.E. Ms Julia Niblett, Australian Ambassador to Ethiopia
- Dr Erin Wilkus, Dr Mulugetta Mekuria, Prof Daniel Rodriguez and Dr John Dixon, SIMLESA book editors
- Dr Feto Essimo, Director General of the Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research (EIAR)
- Dr Felister Makini, Deputy Director General of the Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organization (KALRO)
- Dr Geoffrey Mkamilo, Director General of the Tanzania Agricultural Research Institute (TARI)
- Dr Wilkson Makumba, Director of the Department of Agricultural Research Services (DARS) Malawi
- Dr Olga Faftine Director General of the Instituto de Investigação Agrária de Moçambique IIAM)
- Dr Patrick Karangwa, Director General of the Rwanda Agriculture and Animal Resources Board (RAB)
- Dr Ambrose Agona, Director General of the National Agricultural Research Organization (NARO) Uganda
- Dr Enock Warinda, Ag. Executive Secretary, Association for Strengthening Agricultural Research in Eastern and Central Africa (ASARECA)