The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an innovative, self-motivated and high skilled professional for the Consultancy of Wheat Data Curation, to work in the Genetic Resources Program for the Germplasm Data Management Department.
- Compile and advise on best practices to encourage collaborative network data return through various methods including:
- Surveying the current tools and practices for enabling and promoting more rapid digital (qualitative and image capture) and non-digital data return from national program, universities (researchers and students), and companies by identifying success collaborative network participation norms, related to CIMMYT breeders’/researchers’ data provision, collaborative network partners’ data capture and sharing, data analysis and visualization tools, feedback, capacity development, and applied breeding and analytical tools.
- Recommended use of specific analytical tools, data capture devises, image capture and analysis, high throughput phenotyping, UAV collected data, smart phone applications, labels, barcodes, preferred equipment models and providers, etc., to enhance data collection, exchange and analysis.
- Documenting institutional/cultural data sharing or intellectual property rights constraints, or concerns by network partners, that may hinder or facilitate network participation and data exchange.
- Make recommendations on value-added services CIMMYT can provide to partners that will encourage network participation. Assess user-friendliness of CIMMYT websites, and ease to find services, information and data.
- Report the findings with recommendations to improve IWIN network participation, data return, analysis and visualization tools.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- A degree in Agronomy, Plant Breeding, or Plant Pathology with at least 10 years of experience working with agricultural institutional data or breeding data collection, or working as an extension agent, or a capacity development expert.
- Survey design and data capture skills.
- Substantial experience with computers and a variety of software applications in an academic, breeding or research setting.
- Comfort and skill in using spreadsheets, tablets, smartphones.
- Ability to read, write, and converse in English.
- Pro-active service orientation.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Pro-activity, Service Orientation, Multicultural Awareness/Sensitivity and Communication.
This is a home-based consultancy for a fixed-term of six (6) months. Virtual meetings will be scheduled throughout the consultancy duration to monitor progress and discuss next steps and issues.
Candidates must apply here for IRS18144 Wheat Data Curation Consultant. Screening and follow up will begin on Friday November 30, 2018. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Applicants are encouraged to submit their one page proposal on accomplishing the objectives of the proposed project. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This consultancy will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.