The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Wheat Breeder to join “Increasing the productivity of wheat and wheat based systems in Iran”, Iran-CIMMYT project. The successful applicant will oversee scientific approach, coordinate and monitor research conducted in the network of collaborative research platforms in Iran, with a focus to an advance wheat breeding and seed systems in Iran targeting both rainfed and irrigated ecologies. The Selected candidate works at CIMMYT-Iran and reports to the project senior wheat breeder and project leader.
The position will be based in target locations in Iran at Karaj/Dezful/Kermanshah/Maragheh in Iran.
- Develop, propose and implement complex breeding/research techniques and procedures for the cultivation and improvement of the materials assigned to the project.
- Collaborate in the design, the research and the implementation of techniques for field measurements with high-tech equipment.
- Supervise/Collaborate in the supervision of the work assigned to assistants and support staff working in the project, to ensure the techniques are performed or the crops are developed in compliance with established quality standards.
- Supervise in the field/laboratory activities as assigned and report abnormal situations that arise in the development of the assigned project.
- Make periodic reports and tables that allow the program scientists to track their projects. Assist in writing articles that are published by the Unit.
- Under supervision of biometricians or project supervisor, perform statistical analysis of the information collected in each of the stages of the crop cycle, through the development of a database, in order to present reports on the results achieved by the project.
- Participate in the publication of research/breeding results through annual reports, presentations and publications.
- Carry out special investigations as assigned by Project’s senior scientists and leader and participate in special projects with other national research institutions.
- Contribute to the training and updating of knowledge and research techniques, to the rest of the staff working in the project, and keep updated on new research techniques or processes.
- Visit and supervise other CIMMYT field trials and/or research fields of collaborators.
- Take part in taking care of scientists and visitors to the project, prepare, and conduct field trips with researchers and visiting scientists of the national institutions and International Centers.
- Conduct, if needed, field surveys and interviews with farmers, and analyze this information, for inclusion in CIMMYT publications.
- Review publications for their inclusion into the database and collect information on the agricultural sector, to prepare articles and economic reports.
- Keep a check on inventories of products and materials used and request a replacement when required.
- Perform related duties as requested by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Ph.D. or Master’s Degree in Plant Breeding with at least 4-5 years of experience in these areas and proven breeding/research-conducting skills.
- Prior experience with wheat, maize and other filed crops cultivation is highly desirable.
- Advanced practical knowledge of Genetics, Plant Breeding, Pathology, Soil Science, Agronomy, Experimental Design, Advanced Biometrics, Field Management, Farm Machinery and Equipment, etc.
- User advanced level in the usage of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and advanced statistical software, etc.).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Persian and English language.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Multi-Cultural Awareness, Problem Solving, Flexibility/Adaptability, Pro-Activity, Teamwork, Achievement Orientation, Discipline Orientation, Time Management, Leadership, and Strategic Thinking.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development according to the provisions of the Iranian Labor Law.
Candidates must apply online to IR17116 Wheat Breeder. Screening and follow up will begin on 30 November 2017. For further information on the selection process, please contact Dr. M. R. Jalal Kamali (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Iran.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.