The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic and self-motivated Systems Agronomist to join the leadership team for the Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia (www.csisa.org). With support from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the US Agency for International Development, CSISA is CIMMYT’s flagship for sustainable intensification in South Asia and incorporates programming across the innovation to impact continuum in Nepal, Bangladesh, and selected states in India. In addition to strong theoretical knowledge of agricultural systems, the ideal candidate will have a mix of practical field skills, quantitative abilities, appreciation of inter-disciplinary work, and a core commitment to achieving science-led agricultural development. The successful candidate will also have a problem-solving orientation and approach work with a clear focus on issues of scale, sustainability, and underlying processes. Beyond the current phase of CSISA, this position will be instrumental for conceptualizing and mobilizing resources for ‘next generation’ programming for CIMMYT in South Asia.
The position will based at CIMMYT’s office in Delhi, India or Kathmandu, Nepal. This position is being recruited at the senior scientist level. Candidates who may also be interested in forthcoming opportunities in Dhaka, Bangladesh with CSISA are also encouraged to apply. Frequent travel in the region will be required.
- Provide intellectual and technical leadership to priority thematic areas for CSISA, including cropping systems design and management for climate resilience, and evidence-based advisory systems that contribute to precision management of weeds, water, and soil nutrients.
- Contextualize research across multiple spatial and temporal scales while incorporating knowledge of contemporary and future drivers of change.
- Develop new research questions that address core knowledge gaps, often by leveraging newer and emerging methods, including modern analytics and geospatial analysis.
- Contribute to the development of innovation alliances with a diverse set of public and private sector partners, including advanced research institutions.
- Work closely with an interdisciplinary team of social scientists, economists, and policy analysts to understand adoption processes, technology targeting, and the enabling environment to support sustainable intensification at scale.
- Lead the development and writing of intellectually-ambitious publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Contribute to resource mobilization through ideas development and relationship management.
- Supervise and mentor junior staff.
- Communicate key messages and project progress with donors, policy makers, and other primary stakeholders.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- D. degree(s) in agronomy or related fields with at least 7 years of post-Ph.D. experience.
- Strong proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Work experience in the developing economy context is an asset.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Multi-cultural awareness, time management, problem solving, communication and teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed-term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS18146_Systems Agronomist. Screening and follow up will begin on Thursday, December 27, 2018.
Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.