The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org.
CIMMYT seeks a highly motivated, innovative, rigorous scientist to establish and run a platform for maize and wheat transformation in our biotechnology projects. Working in our modern laboratory facilities, the successful applicant will join a discovery team availing novel genetic diversity for use in our worldwide wheat and maize breeding programs. Current projects include gene editing for disease resistance in both maize and wheat and contained validation experiments for drought tolerance and other traits in wheat. The selected scientist will prepare and publish innovative research in collaboration with internal and external colleagues. She/he will participate in capacity development activities, such as hosting visiting technicians or scientists and overseeing student research projects. CIMMYT is a member of Excellence Through Stewardship, and the successful applicant must be committed to implementing best practices in stewardship and laboratory operations. This position reports to the head of biotechnology opportunities.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Establish a tissue culture platform for generating transgenic events from maize and wheat immature embryos and other tissues.
- Use Agrobacterium-mediated and biolistic transformation techniques to generate transgenic events.
- Standardize growth chamber and greenhouse conditions for optimal growth of maize and wheat plants with the goal of increasing transformation efficiency of immature embryos.
- Provide tissue transformation support to a team focused on gene editing.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in Molecular Biology or MSc in Biology or related field with 5 to 10 of experience in tissue culture.
- Proven record of accomplishments in cereal transformation using Agrobacterium-mediated as well as biolistic techniques.
- Knowledge of plant growth and development under controlled conditions.
- Working knowledge of analytical and statistical tools such as VNTI and other bioinformatics platforms.
- Ability to compile laboratory results into written reports on an ongoing basis.
- Adherence to good laboratory practices.
- Leadership in stewardship.
- Additional desirable skills: Experience in molecular techniques, particularly in vector construction, PCR, and sequence analyses.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Decision Making, Innovation and Creativity and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed-term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS19116_ Scientist, Plant Transformation & Tissue Culture – Applied Biotechnology Laboratory. Screening and follow up will begin on Tuesday, March 12, 2019. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (email@example.com)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.