The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking an enthusiastic, organized, and competent Research Associate to join and contribute to multiple agricultural research for development projects led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) in Bangladesh. The candidate should have a strong desire to conduct applied research that contributes to real-world development outcomes, and should be comfortable bridging the gap prior research experience including fieldwork and advanced analytics and knowledge of data management, processing and statistics. Desirable candidates will have good team and inter-personal skills and be able to contribute to research that is interdisciplinary in nature including both biophysical (agronomic) and social sciences.
- Train and back-stop field staff on proper implementation of agronomic experiments, use of GPS and GIS systems, soil and plant sampling procedures, data handling, and reporting methodologies.
- As and when needed, assist in collection of field data related to climate, plant physiological and crop performance, as well as to farmers’ perceptions of new technologies and socioeconomic performance of new technologies.
- Assist in the procurement and maintenance of research equipment.
- Install and monitor the use of automatic weather stations.
- Carry out farmer needs assessments through field visits, focus group meetings, and surveys.
- Coordinate participatory trials with partner organizations to assess the viability of climate services decision support tools in Bangladesh.
- Assure proper archiving and back-up of hard and soft copies of all datasets in consistent formats.
- Execute preliminary analyses of data (exploratory graphing, transformation of data to adhere to assumptions of normality, analysis of variance, and other more advanced statistical techniques).
- Prepare datasets, maintain meta-data, and upload data in publically accessible databases.
- Implement fieldwork and office with the approval and supervision of CIMMYT’s lead Scientists, and Technical Coordinators.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Educational and experience Requirements:
- MS in Agricultural Science/Environmental Science, or related disciplines with strong background in statistics, data science & analytics, and geospatial analysis.
- Sound understanding of GIS, remote sensing, climate change in agriculture, and agricultural climate services.
- Knowledge/skill in database system (e.g. Excel, Access), script writing (e.g. R studio, Matlab, etc) and data visualization and mapping (e.g. open-source GIS).
- Good understanding of predominant cropping systems in Bangladesh with knowledge together with knowledge of climate change and climate smart agriculture.
- Ability to manage, statistically analyze and synthesize scientific data (primary as well as secondary) and translate research results in peer reviewed publications.
- Familiarity with management of large databases.
- Ability to drive with motorcycle license.
- Willingness to engage in field work.
- 3+ years – Requires in-depth and/or breadth of expertise in own discipline and broad knowledge of related disciplines.
- English Language: read and respond appropriately to correspondence, orally and in writing.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Problem solving, Teamwork, Results-orientation, Communication and Pro activity.
The position is for Bangladesh Nationals for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year, with a three-month initial probationary period, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT will provide a nationally competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive health and life insurance, paid vacation, contributions to a retirement plan, and a range of other benefits as required by Bangladesh law.
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and CV no later than Wednesday 05 Dec, 2018 to Human Resources, CIMMYT (Email: CIM-Recruitment-BD@cgiar.org) Please indicate Position Name & Job Ref no- B18112-BIS-1&2 and B18113-BIS in the subject of your email.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.