The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Program Manager to work in the Sustainable Intensification Program of CIMMYT. This position has a critical role in enhancing the impact of CIMMYT’s works.
The position reports to the Director of the Sustainable Intensification Program.
This position will be based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Program planning, management & administration
- In conjunction with program administrative staff, oversee and lead all administrative tasks within the program; providing feedback to process owners in the interest of continuous improvement and involving the Program Director (PD) when necessary for escalation; and promote compliance to policies and processes, and escalate non-compliances as necessary.
- Assist scientists, program staff and the PD in development and improvement of program specific processes.
- In coordination with the PD, Project Leaders (PL), supervisors and Program Finance Manager (PFM), ensure effective allocation of staff and other program resources through analysis of budget versus staff time.
- Assist the PD in the performance management process including support to the work planning process (and their subsequent implementation), as well as the performance evaluation process.
- Provide oversight and coordination of projects across the program with support from PMU, Legal, HR, Finance, Internal Audit, CIMMYT Country Representatives, and CRP Administration Team, including CRP planning and end of year performance reporting.
- Proposal development & Project management
- When requested, provide editorial and administrative support to scientists and PD in the development of scientific project proposals, including preparation of detail project budget and management of risks
- Liaise with PMU and relevant project leaders to promote best practices in project management, respond to donor queries and to ensure timely submission of high-quality reports and other deliverables.
- Support scientists in implementing and managing projects, including support to staff recruitment, purchase of capital, account set-up, testing and adoption of project management tools, project close out, etc.
- Sub-grant development and management
- Support PLs in developing and implementing subgrant agreements, ensuring donor budget is available and ensure compliance to established policy and process.
- Ensure approval of financial reports and timely payments to partners in accordance with the agreement.
- Ensure that records of ongoing and finished subgrants are maintained.
- Oversee and facilitate internal communication with, among and about program staff and activities (workshop, conferences and events) with International Communications Unit.
- Serve as a liaison between Program staff and CIMMYT’s International Communications Unit in order to contribute to CIMMYT’s visibility.
- Knowledge management
- Oversee and facilitate communication through the effective use of the CIMMYT Intranet and other communication tools offered by Knowledge Management Unit.
- Encourage the use of institutional knowledge management systems, including their regular maintenance.
- With support from other administrative units as appropriate or necessary, develop and maintain databases and systems for managing program-specific information required for efficient program management and reporting, ensuring data is securely stored and appropriately shared.
- Financial management
- Monitor and report on program’s spending against budget on a monthly basis to the PD to facilitate informed decision-making, in coordination with the PFM.
- Periodically review the spending levels of program led projects and discuss with the PL and/or other stakeholders any anticipated over/underspending to ensure that spending matches with work plan.
- Coordinate with the PFM on the preparation of the annual program budget, fully costed budget for new proposals, budget realignment when needed and budget distribution to the programs internal budget holders.
- Coordinate with the PFM to ensure that donor financial reports are submitted in a timely and accurate manner and in compliance with donor requirements.
- Support the PFM to coordinate the annual capex call within the program.
- Collaborate with CIMMYT Corporate Service Units and liaise between Programs and Units.
- Collaborate with legal on contractual documents, policy and any other legal issues, liaise between Program and Legal Unit, and prioritize service requests.
- Participate in the review of institutional policies, including the provision of input.
- Collaborate with service units for timely delivery of services; liaise between Programs and Units.
- Perform other duties and assume other responsibilities as assigned and delegated by the PD.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Masters’ Degree in Agriculture, Business or Public Administration or related field.
- Certificated PM and 6 to 10 years’ demonstrated experience with project or program management.
- Advanced knowledge of relevant administrative and/or operating protocols and policies of the function.
- Require strategic thinking. e.g., the ability to identify and/or develop new approaches / methodology.
- Understand the linkages with other disciplines.
- Computer literacy, with proficiency in the common software packages.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Decision-making, Time Management, Proactivity and Result Oriented, Teamwork, Relationship Management, Communication, and Multi-Cultural Awareness.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS18152 Program Manager. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday 18 January 2019. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.