The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org.
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is seeking a result-oriented professional to work in the Genetic Resources Program (GRP).
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Assist and participate in planning, executing and oversight of all activities of the germplasm bank (50% of time).
- Conduct research on a high-priority topic (to be agreed) focused on diverse maize accessions in our global collection (50% of time).
- Publish in high impact peer-reviewed journals.
- Collaborate and work with a diverse team of scientists and colleagues.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in plant genetics, plant breeding, evolutionary biology, population biology, genetic resources, or plant taxonomy/systematics.
- Preference for applied research (research for development).
- Interest in germplasm bank management and conservation.
- Excellent skills in verbal and written English, a knowledge of basic Spanish is desirable.
- Publications in peer-reviewed international journals.
- Experience in working in multicultural settings fostering team environment.
- This position will require travel to CIMMYT’s research stations in Mexico and limited international travel may be required.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Teamwork, Time Management, Problem Solving and Pro-activity.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS18131 Post-Doctoral Fellow in Conservation and Enabling Use of Maize Diversity. Screening and follow up will begin on Monday, August 13, 2018. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Ricardo Perez firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.