The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org.
CIMMYT seeks a highly motivated, innovative, rigorous early-career scientist to provide molecular expertise for maize and wheat biotechnology projects. Working in our modern laboratory facilities, the successful applicant will join a discovery team availing novel genetic diversity for use in our worldwide wheat and maize breeding programs. Current projects include gene editing for disease resistances in both wheat and maize, and contained validation experiments for drought tolerance and other traits in wheat. The selected scientist will collaborate and increasingly develop, implement and publish innovative research with colleagues. She/he will participate in capacity development activities, such as organizing short training workshops, hosting visiting technicians or scientists, and overseeing student research projects. CIMMYT is a member of Excellence Through Stewardship, and the successful applicant must be committed to implementing best practices in stewardship and laboratory operations. This position reports to the head of biotechnology opportunities.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Obtain and analyze genomic sequences for genes of interest to be edited in maize and wheat.
- PCR genomic copies from elite lines, sequence, assemble, and compare among genotypes to identify SNPs.
- Design guide-RNA molecules, construct vectors, transform maize and wheat embryos, obtain transgenic events, screen edited events using a combination of molecular tools and next-generation sequencing, and identify edited events.
- Advance edited events in the greenhouse and test for appropriate phenotypes.
- Compile results into written reports for publication.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Post – PhD in molecular biology or related field.
- Experience in recombinant DNA techniques, including high-throughput cloning.
- Proficiency in protein analytical techniques, including protein expression, ELISA assay development and implementation, Western blotting, one- and two-dimensional gel electrophoresis, and immunopurification.
- Experience in analytical and statistical tools such as VNTI and other bioinformatics platforms.
- Proven record of accomplishments in the use of aforementioned techniques and programs.
- Ability to compile laboratory results concisely into written reports on an ongoing basis.
- Adherence to good laboratory practices.
- Leadership in stewardship.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Collaboration, Innovation and Creativity, Flexibility/Adaptability.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS19117 PDF in Applied Biotechnology Laboratory – Molecular Biologist. Screening and follow up will begin on Friday, March 15, 2019. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.