The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Occupational Health & Safety Specialist to work in the Corporate Services Program (CSP).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Prepare an annual program on occupational health & safety.
- Keep updated licenses and permits for equipment, machinery, procedures, etc., in compliance with the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare requirements in México and at Regional Offices.
- Coordinate the handling, storage and disposal of hazardous chemicals and equipment at the different laboratories, including the guard and update of the required registers (manifestos).
- Monitor the proper functioning of the safety equipment at the hazardous materials disposal room (ventilation, water, emergency shower, etc.).
- Monitor the new laws and regulations that are applicable for CIMMYT activities on OH&S.
- Coordinate Safety and Health Committee activities, including but not limited to: updating licenses and permits, compliance with the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare requirements, training and campaigns related to work related accidents and sickness as well as health and safety campaigns.
- Provide training sessions related to safety and security activities at operational areas (i.e. laboratory safety, field safety, proper use of PPE, etc.).
- Participate in the Business Continuity Plan (emergency response brigades).
- Update the internal civil protection plan at HQ and Experimental Stations and conduct risk analysis of the field and laboratory working areas.
- Investigate work-related accidents, identifying the causes and proposing action plans to avoid or mitigate them in the future.
- Coordinate the annual maintenance program of the fire alarm system and other equipment and keep the records updated.
- Detect and report about working conditions that could potentially affect workers health, comfort, and safety.
- Analyze the job activities and risks by position in order to assign the correspondent PPE.
- Update and develop the Centre health and safety policies.
- Maintain administrative records, printed or electronic, determined in the safety laws and the Mexican Norms/ Standards.
- Recommend measures to help protect workers from potentially dangerous practices, processes, and materials.
- Other tasks related to safety and health as directed by supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health & Safety (industrial engineering, pharmaceutical, etc.) or related fields.
- Minimum 4 years of work experience in similar functions or positions.
- Advanced level in English language (English test will be administered; candidate must score a minimum of C1 as per CEFR).
- User advanced level of usage in MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word).
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Time Management, Achievement Orientation, Pro-Activity, Communication, Multi-cultural Awareness and Problem-solving.
- The candidate must exhibit sense of urgency and commitment to his responsibilities and deadlines.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M18138 Occupational Health & Safety Specialist. Screening and follow up will begin on Wednesday, 07 March 2018. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Ricardo Pérez (email@example.com).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.