The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic and results-oriented Market and Value Chain Specialist, with a strong interest in agri-input markets and agri-business development. The position focuses on agri-market and business research and development in support of a portfolio of projects, with special attention to maize agri-food and seed systems. The position contributes to and draws on the experiences of a large multi-disciplinary international research team, including the team associated with Stress Tolerant Maize for Africa (STMA) which focuses on developing and deploying improved and stress tolerant maize cultivars for Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA).
The selected candidate will work as a member of CIMMYT’s Socio-Economics Program (SEP) in close collaboration with CIMMYT’s Global Maize Program (GMP).
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s regional office in Nairobi, Kenya, but will involve frequent travel, including other CIMMYT and field sites in Africa.
- Design and implement a strategic research-for-development (R4D) agenda around agri-input markets and agri-business development in SSA.
- Assess agri-market and business development opportunities in delivery countries with special emphasis on demand and supply of maize seed, including seed market intelligence and demand assessment, business models and market development strategies.
- Initiate, build and strengthen partnerships with public and private institutional stakeholders for delivering positive impact among smallholder farmers in SSA.
- Translate findings into practical R4D priorities and implications, including the development of strategies, options and recommendations to set research priorities, guide policy decisions, facilitate adoption and adaptation, stimulate scaling up and out and enhance social inclusiveness.
- Publish findings in international peer-reviewed journals and contribute to dissemination of results to stakeholders.
- Assist in resource mobilization and project/CIMMYT management as required.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Ph.D. in agribusiness, market/value chain research or a related field.
- Active interest and preferably experience in the seed sector and/or seed business research and development.
- Preferably at least two-three years of relevant experience.
- Familiarity with the agricultural development and technology delivery issues in SSA.
- Demonstrated ability to excel in complex, multidisciplinary research or development projects.
- Good partnership building skills, including ability to interact with funding agencies; deliver effectively; and moderate meetings with local partners.
- Experience with applied research related to public-private partnerships and business models would be an added advantage.
- A high degree of personal organization and ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work with different nationalities and disciplines, as a member of a diverse work team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with established publication record in international peer-reviewed journals.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Achievement Orientation, Problem Solving, Decision-making, Teamwork and Multi-Cultural Orientation.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS18119 Market and Value Chain Specialist. Screening and follow up will begin on Friday, 18 May 2018. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.