The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, focused on increasing food security and reducing poverty at an international scale. Please refer to our website for more information www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a skilled geospatial analyst, ideally with knowledge of agricultural or vegetated systems, to join the Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia (www.csisa.org) in India. As part of CSISA, and with dedicated support from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation BMGF, we have recently launched new programming in India to build ‘soil intelligence’ systems (SIS) to inform decision-making for soil health management with state and private sector partners. These systems will combine legacy data, high-throughput laboratory methods, and machine learning-based map predictions to make high-quality soils information available at scale through robust geo-spatial data systems.
This position will be based in Delhi, Patna, or Vijaywada in India. Some travel in the region will be required.
- Aggregate, clean, and curate geospatial data from external and internal sources, including time-series and multi-spectral remote sensing imagery.
- Manage integrated geospatial databases with special attention to data fusion and meta-data standards.
Conduct geospatial analysis, including spatial statistics, for factor and domain characterization.
- With guidance, apply machine learning algorithms for predictive mapping of soil properties.
- Assist with the design and maintenance of data visualization and analytics portals with state partners.
- Assist in the presentation of results for annual reports, stakeholder communication, and journal publications.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- MSc degree in geospatial sciences with an emphasis on the physical or biological sciences or an MSc in agriculture with an emphasis on spatial analysis.
- 3-5 years professional experience.
- Expertise with common GIS software, including ArcGIS, as well as with remote sensing packages such as ENVI or ERDAS Imagine.
- Broad knowledge of spatial data sets relevant to agriculture, which are available in India and elsewhere in S. Asia (desirable).
- Capacity and inclination to work within a team framework among a group of multi-disciplinary and multi-national scientists.
- Willingness and ability to learn new analytical techniques and software packages.
- Good command of oral and written English.
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
Email cover letter and CV as a single document with last drawn salary, salary expectations and notice period no later than Sunday, 23rd December 2018 to Human Resources, CIMMYT
(Email: email@example.com / Please insert Position Reference number: IN18118 in the subject of your email)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality