The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, resourceful, and highly motivated research assistant with strong analytical and writing skills to support the efforts to integrate gender in international maize- and wheat research for development. The incumbent will work closely with CIMMYTs Research Theme Leader for Gender & Social Inclusion in support of the coordination, implementation and management of CIMMYT’s global gender research portfolio, including both strategic gender research and the integration of gender in technical maize- and wheat research for development.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Conduct high-level analysis of qualitative data using NVivo 10 Software, and serve as CIMMYT NVivo contact person for Socioeconomics Program and GENNOVATE project.
- Provide support related to data management and merging of datasets under GENNOVATE project.
- Support the integration of gender and social inclusion into technical maize- and wheat-related research for development
- Gather and manage information and prepare background briefs and communication products.
- Support portfolio management, coordination of gender research activities and deliverables, and management of bilateral projects and research partners.
- Assist with work planning, coordination, monitoring and reporting.
- Undertake literature searches and reviews related to gender and social equity in agriculture/rural development, and contribute to data analysis and write-up.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- The holder of the position must have a Master’s degree in social sciences, preferably with a focus on gender relations / social inclusion in relation to rural development, or similar areas.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience working with gender/social inclusion issues, preferably in relation to agriculture or rural development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. English will be tested and candidates must score a minimum of C1 as per CEFR.
- Experience with qualitative and/or quantitative approaches to social research.
- Strong analytical skills and experience with literature reviews.
- Experience with portfolio management and/or project coordination, including administrative responsibilities.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft packages and electronic communication, familiarity with NVivo is an advantage
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Time Management, Communication, and Relationship with External Stakeholders, Multi-Cultural Awareness Achievement orientation and pro-activity.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M18286 Gender Research Assistant. Screening and follow up will begin on Thursday, November 22, 2018. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Yareli Cruz ( email@example.com ).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.