The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Field Research Technician to work in the Global Wheat Program (GWP).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Execute fieldwork as assigned, such as preparation and seed treatment, sowing, weeding, application of herbicides and chemicals, conducting pollination and cross-pollination, irrigation, harvesting, etc. in order to contribute to good crop development.
- Participate in wheat pathology related field trials, including preparation of inoculum, field inoculation, field disease evaluation, disease affected seeds assessment in warehouse etc.
- Participate in the collection of crop agronomic data, such as: flowering date, plant height, lodging, etc. using measuring instruments assigned to the unit.
- Participate in the routine maintenance and management of warehouse.
- Carry out tasks in the field and greenhouse, as assigned by the supervisor.
- To be able to travel extensively to experimental stations such as those in Agua Fria and Toluca.
- Perform required support tasks in the unit, according to the instructions of your supervisor.
- Report to your supervisor any abnormal situations that presents during the roll-out of the assigned project for immediate correction.
- Assist in hosting of scientists and visitors to the unit.
- May supervise some temporary staff members.
- Execute working visits to other CIMMYT research stations.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy with knowledge in Pathology or other relevant discipline.
- Minimum 2 years of performing activities related to field work.
- Regularly requires a combination of mental abilities such as analysis, careful judgment and decision-making.
- Intermediate level in English language (English test will be administered; candidate must score a minimum of B2 as per CEFR).
- Sufficient level of usage in MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word).
- Experience operating protocols and procedures of research support function.
- Work is subjected to supervision with daily reporting.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Multi-cultural Awareness/Sensitivity, Time Management, Compliance and Problem-solving.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M18123 Field Research Technician. Screening and follow up will begin on Tuesday, 30 January 2018. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Ricardo Pérez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.