The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CCAFS-CIMMYT are seeking a dynamic, innovative and self-motivated professional with a specialization in Data Sciences for its South Asia program. This will be an Internationally Recruited Post-Doctoral Fellow/Associate Scientist Position for the CCAFS to work within CIMMYT-BISA. We are expecting the Data Scientist to lead the work on the integrations of remote sensing data, advanced climate information, crop/agro-hydrological models and machine learning tools for making informed decisions on climate risk management, climate change adaptation at the farm scale to the policy level. S/he will report to the Regional Program Leader, CCAFS – South Asia and will be based in New Delhi. As part of our inter-disciplinary team, the successful candidate will be exposed to exciting research challenges in the South Asia region and elsewhere and will get many opportunities to foster your career growth through innovative solutions.
The CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS: http://ccafs.cgiar.org) is a global research for development program that generates evidence and supports adoption of climate-smart agricultural policies, practices, and services to alleviate poverty, increase gender equity, and support sustainable landscape development. CCAFS in South Asia is hosted by the CIMMYT-BISA. CCAFS-South Asia does a lot of work on developing new insurance schemes/products, early warning systems, and climate smart agriculture. CCAFS is keen to utilize the big data analytics to accelerate the use of the research in these thematic areas and make it more meaningful for applications by the stakeholders.
The position will be based at CIMMYT-India office in New Delhi.
- Collaborate closely with scientists, data engineers, modelers, and remote sensing scientists to provide data-driven solutions for climate risk management, early warning systems, yield modelling, agricultural insurance and climate change adaptation/mitigation.
- Understand the core scientific questions and develop methodology to best address these questions.
- Apply machine learning or other computational approaches to develop, improve and scale the solutions to these problems.
- Build effective relationships and partnerships with all the stakeholders.
- Raise the capacity of associated scientists and partners in data analytics.
- Document results for reports, blogs and journal publications.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, Mathematics or a related field with demonstrated experience of quantitative applications in Agricultural Sciences, Climatology, Geo-informatics, or related fields.
- Demonstrated experience using machine learning, data mining, big data technologies, simulation modelling, or statistical methodology to solve research problems.
- Proficiency in programming.
- Experience with cloud/grid computing technology, Google Earth Engine etc.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Decision-making, Proactivity, Teamwork, Communication, and Multi-Cultural Awareness.
The position is for an fixed-term for two (2) years, with six months of probation period. Further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS18143 Data Scientist. Screening and follow up will begin on Monday, December 10, 2018.
Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.