The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, (www. Cimmyt.org) is a not -for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Communication Specialist at the CIMMYT Southern Africa Regional Office. Under the supervision of the Regional Communications Officer and the Regional CIMMYT representative, the Communication Specialist will work with research teams (Global Maize Programme, Sustainable Intensification Programme, Socio Economic Programme) in Zimbabwe and actively communicate about the key CIMMYT projects in Zimbabwe and in the region on a regular basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
With support from CIMMYT Kenya/HQ Communications team and the CIMMYT scientist in Zimbabwe Office:-
- Work with project partners to develop, produce, and use relevant extension and training materials (flyers, posters, infographics, videos, etc.) for target communities (farmers, and agricultural extension personnel) and project events (demonstrations, field days).
- Develop project brochures and technical bulletins.
- Document and communicate project news, updates and stories for wider dissemination in Zimbabwe, and globally.
- Document high-interest stories for dissemination in suitable formats (interviews, photographs, and video) to various target audiences.
- As required, travel to document CIMMYT’s work on the ground, including field visits and taking still and video photography.
- Assist scientists in preparing scientific posters, presentations, and other materials.
- Publish and disseminate project results in various forms – print, digital, video or audio.
- Support networking and engagement activities with other actors in Zimbabwe – as a specific contribution to the projects wider alignment and scaling objectives.
- Support innovative use of information, communication and knowledge-based interventions and approaches across projects.
- Oversee the activities related to the production of high quality communications materials, including digital content, annual reports and reviews, newsletters, etc.
- Liaise with CIMMYT HQ communications team to share project updates and stories.
Required academic qualifications, experience, skills and attitudes:
- MSC degree or related degree in Communication, Knowledge Management, Journalism or related
- Very good knowledge of oral and written English – we are looking for a writer/communicator.
- Fluency in English, Shona and/or Ndebele; working knowledge of other local languages is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills in an international environment.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks; keen attention to detail.
- Conversant in social media platforms and social networking tools.
- Experience in agriculture and developmental field in Ethiopia highly desirable.
- At least 5 years relevant experience in a development, research, corporate or international environment is a plus.
- Experience in supporting communications and/or media relations in the area of agricultural research for development is an added advantage.
- Ability to present and package scientific information into various formats to suit specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Basic knowledge of and skills in desktop publishing, HTML, photography and photo editing.
Submit your applications to the following e-mail address: – CIMMYT-Zimbabwe@cgiar.org
Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply.