The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an innovative, self-motivated and highly skilled professional for the position of Communications Officer. The selected candidate will report to the Head of Communications, and work with the Global Maize Program Director and the Regional Representative for Africa to enhance the impact of CIMMYT’s work and build and nurture relationships with donors, policy makers, the scientific community, media and other stakeholders. The Communications Officer will actively communicate on behalf of key CIMMYT projects in Africa on a regular basis.
The position is based at ICRAF’s campus in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Implement a communication and media strategy to advance CIMMYT’s research-for-development programs in Africa, including media field trips.
- Lead and work with partners to develop and disseminate targeted messages to different stakeholders on the key projects implemented by CIMMYT in the region.
- Provide communication and media support to prioritized special events/workshops/meetings and conferences.
- Coordinate closely with the communications staff at global HQ in Mexico on communications products, campaigns, etc.
- Oversee development and management of project websites and online working spaces for scientists and partners.
- Raise awareness through media of the value and impact of major projects implemented by CIMMYT in the region.
- Write, edit and oversee the production of publications, including newsletters, scientific reports, etc. and link with HQ for branding consistency.
- Provide necessary writing/editing support of project technical reports.
- Lead new approaches to create and distribute multi-media content to the supported CIMMYT projects.
- In collaboration with the Global Maize Program Director and Head of Communications, generate compelling communications and marketing collateral to support CIMMYT donor relations initiatives in Africa.
- In collaboration with the CIMMYT Head of communications, supervise the work of a Communications Specialist who will assist with the duties listed above.
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related discipline (a bachelor’s degree with relevant experience will be considered).
- Between 3 and 5 years of experience in Science Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Media campaigns, and/or Nonprofit Communications.
- Non-profit organization experience or demonstrated understanding of the non-profit and/or agricultural research for development environments.
- Clear grasp of communications strategies and creativity in applying them to raise awareness of CIMMYT’s activities and achievements.
- Ability to express technical concepts in clear and simple language for diverse audiences, including the general public.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent writing skills in English for diverse audiences and formats. Knowledge of Swahili is desirable but not required.
- Experience in Risk Communications is a plus.
- Proficiency in use of social networking and new media tools.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Decision-Making, Relationship Management, Problem-Solving, Innovation and Creativity and Multi-Cultural Awareness/Sensitivity.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS18111 Communications Officer. Screening and follow up will begin on Thursday, 22 February 2018. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.