The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Assistant Research Associate to work in the Global Maize Program (GMP).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, and located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Implement research techniques and procedures for the cultivation and improvement of farmer’s landrace maize (nativos).
- Understand the plans for trials and nurseries and ensure that planting and data collection are executed as planned.
- Assist in the supervision of duties assigned to support staff working in the project (native maize project), to ensure the techniques and selections are performed proper developmental stages and in compliance with protocols established.
- Help to organize seed stocks and organize and execute planting plans
- Create field books, field maps, labels and files for portable data collection that are correctly created and fully explained to collaborators.
- Calculate differences in flowering to enable crosses between different landrace maizes.
- Collect and manage climatic data from research sites.
- Help manage data file curation to ensure data is correct and correctly archived.
- In general, participate in tasks that occur during the different stages of the crop cycles.
- Verify that equipment and facilities are in good operating condition and report any maintenance needed.
- Communicate with Collaborators to organize training events and field visits.
- Prepare data in formats that can be analyzed by the statistics unit.
- Provide supporting information for data analysis.
- Coalition and revision of collaborator’s annual reports. Assist in preparation of final report.
- Understand the program sufficiently to be able to give brief presentations in the absence of supervisor.
- Keep records, report tasks performed, and results achieved on a quarterly basis.
- Help to organize information for reports and request information form collaborators on timely basis.
- Assist in demonstrations for visitors to the unit (native maize project).
- Contribute to information and training of research techniques to the rest of the staff working in the project, including the staff of the Collaborators.
- Any other duties as requested by supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy, Master’s Degree in Plant Breeding preferred or related field.
- Experience of at least 2 years working in breeding/genetic investigation with maize, preferably native maize.
- Ability to drive long distances on difficult roads and travel to remote areas.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with collaborators and farmers.
- Initiative in planning work and managing workers.
- Attention to detail and quality of work.
- Understanding of experimental design and statistical procedures.
- Intermediate to advanced level of usage in MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word).
- The candidate must exhibit high level of commitment to responsibilities and deadlines.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Multi-cultural awareness/sensitivity, Time Management, Communication and Problem-solving.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M18273 Assistant Research Associate. Screening and follow up will begin on Friday, October 12, 2018. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Karen Luna (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.