The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Assistant Agronomist/Assistant Wheat Breeder to join “Increasing the productivity of wheat and wheat based systems in Iran”, Iran-CIMMYT project. The successful applicant will assist in scientific approach, coordinate and monitor research conducted in the network of collaborative research platforms in Iran, with a focus on Wheat Breeding/Conservation Agriculture for Sustainable Intensification (CASI) based agronomic practices. Disseminate best practices to establish research networks with National Agriculture Research and Extension Systems (NARES) and International collaborators. The Selected candidate will work at CIMMYT-Iran and report to the project regional systems agronomist, senior wheat breeder and project leader.
The position will be based in target locations in Iran at Karaj/Dezful/Shiraz/Kermanshah/Maragheh/Darab/Ardabil.
- Develop, propose and implement complex breeding/research techniques and procedures for the cultivation and improvement of the materials assigned as well as in a specific part of the overall project assigned.
- Assist in the supervision of duties assigned to support staff working in the project, to ensure the techniques are performed or the crops are developed in compliance with established quality standards.
- Execute and implement the plan wheat breeding/research activities as per the standard protocols and maintain high quality of research implementation approaches.
- Participate in tasks that occur during the different stages of the crop cycle assigned to the Unit.
- Develop a record and report the tasks performed and the results achieved in the assigned project.
- Report any abnormal situations that arise in the development of the project assigned, for immediate correction, to the immediate supervisor.
- Collaborate in field, greenhouse and laboratory tasks as assigned.
- Contribute to the training and updating of knowledge and research techniques to the rest of the staff working in the unit, and keep updated on new research.
- Make periodic reports and tables that allow the program scientists to track their projects. Assist in writing articles that are published by the Unit.
- Under supervision of biometricians or project supervisor, perform statistical analysis of the information collected in each of the stages of the crop cycle, through the development of a database, in order to present reports on the results achieved by the project.
- Assure proper archiving and back-up of hard and soft copies of all data-sets in consistent formats.
- Execute preliminary analyses of data (exploratory graphing, transformation of data to adhere to assumptions of normality, analysis of variance, and other more advanced statistical techniques), and assist in report preparation.
- Attend working visits to other CIMMYT field trials and/or research stations.
- Keep a check on inventories of products and materials used and request a replacement when required.
- Verify that machinery, equipment and facilities are in good operating condition and report any maintenance needed.
- Perform related duties as requested by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master or Bachelor’s Degree in Plant Breeding, Soil Science and Agronomy. At least 4-5 years of experience in these areas and proven research-conducting and field work and management skills.
- Prior experience with wheat, maize and other filed crops cultivation is highly desirable.
- Advanced practical knowledge of Genetics, Plant Breeding, Pathology, Soil Science, Agronomy, Experimental Design, Advanced Biometrics, Field Management, Farm Machinery and Equipment, etc.
- User advanced level in the usage of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Statistical Analysis software, etc.).
- Proficiency in in Persian and English languages.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Communication, Multi-Cultural Awareness, Flexibility/Adaptability, Pro-Activity, Problem Solving, Time Management, Discipline Orientation and Strategic Thinking.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development according to the provisions of the Iranian Labor Law.
Candidates must apply online to IR17121 Assistant Agronomist/Assistant Wheat Breeder. Screening and follow up will begin on 30 November 2017. For further information on the selection process, please contact Dr. M. R. Jalal Kamali (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Iran.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.