The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not -for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Assistant Accountant at the CIMMYT Southern Africa Regional Office. This position has a critical role in enhancing the impact of CIMMYT’s work. The position reports to Accountant based at CIMMYT’s Regional Office in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Make payments and receive funds in accordance with finance procedures:
- Collect and examine supporting documents and ensure that signatures and documents are valid.
- Prepare payment vouchers, and receipt vouchers.
- Maintain float, and staff advance registers.
- Prepare cheques/payment orders and ensure that they are properly delivered.
- Record transactions in Quick Books as required by the supervisor
- Manage the petty cash:
- Prepare petty cash vouchers.
- Be responsible for petty cash held in the office.
- Prepare Petty Cash Form, and request additional cash as necessary.
- Ensure that all accounts records are filed in an orderly manner.
- Prepare VAT returns and other tax related returns and necessary tax reconciliations.
- Undertake any other duties that may be requested by the Finance Manager.
Required academic qualifications, experience, skills and attitudes:
- Degree or HND in Accounting or related qualification
- Familiarity with Donor Accounting systems and processes.
- Experience in computerized accounting and knowledge of Quick Books and related accounting packages.
- In addition to the above good progress towards completion of a professional accounting qualification such as CIS, ACCA, and CIMA will be an advantage.
Candidates must submit their application to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org (please include reference number Z18111 in the subject of your e-mail). The closing date for receipt of applications is Sunday May 27, 2018. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above providing clear and concrete examples of where, when, and how the experience was gained.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.