The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Agribusiness Specialist to work in the Sustainable Intensification Program (SIP). Please note that this position is a strictly temporary (6 months).
The selected candidate will be based at CIMMYT Guanajuato office, located at: Secretaria de Desarrollo Agroalimentario y Rural (SDAyR) in Avenida Irrigación s/n, Col. Monte Camargo, Celaya, Guanajuato.
- Conduct market and value chain specific mapping exercises in target locations.
- Monitor closely input and output grain flows in the context of specific responsible sourcing projects, liaising as needed with agroindustry representatives and other value chain players (e.g. aggregators).
- Implement activities to lead to the effective promotion of local and sustainable procurement in target locations.
- Implement proven tools and methodologies to scale up the market participation of selected farmers and farmers groups into target markets.
- Support to the generation of recommendations for customized responsible sourcing guidelines.
- Assess and provide advice or training to farmers and farmers groups in areas such as: contract farming, management of farmer organizations, grain storage management, supplier and agribusiness development and inclusive business models.
- Support to the farmer-linkage component in the framework of hub development strategic plans.
- Support to the generation of reports and other administrative duties.
- Any other related duty as required by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Masters’ Degree in Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics or any other closely related field; in lieu of a Masters’ Degree, a Bachelors Degree with extensive professional experience could be accepted
- Minimum 4 years of progressive experience in an agribusiness environment (ideally in procurement operations).
- Proven experience with agribusiness management (business modeling, finance and accounting, advice on contract farming and/or risk management strategies).
- Understanding of agricultural value chains and familiarity with Mexican food policies, certifications and regulations.
- The candidate must exhibit sense of urgency and commitment to his responsibilities and deadlines.
- Intermediate level in English language (English test will be administered; candidate must score a minimum of B2 as per CEFR).
- User advanced level of usage in MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word).
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Multi-Cultural Awareness, Time Management, Achievement Orientation, Pro-Activity and Problem-solving.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development.
Candidates must apply online to M17267 Agribusiness Specialist. Screening and follow up will begin on Friday, 23 February 2018. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Ricardo Pérez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.