The Excellence in Breeding Platform (www.excellenceinbreeding.org) is a new cross-commodity platform that supports the modernization of breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia, and Latin America for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development.
The platform is part of the new CGIAR portfolio of research programs and platforms (www.cgiar.org/our-strategy), and being led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries (www.cimmyt.org).
The Platform is recruiting an experienced, pro-active and results-oriented Breeding Optimization Specialist to support the development and optimization of NARS breeding programs in Africa.
The position will be based at CIMMYT-Kenya office in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Support NARs in Africa to develop breeding improvement plans in order to deliver higher rates of genetic gains targeted at small holder farmers. Improvement plans will focus on product profiles, breeding scheme optimization, use of genotyping, automation, mechanization, use of appropriate breeding software, links with seed producers.
- Provide hands on and routine support to 3 to 5 national breeding teams in 4-5 countries to implement an end-to-end internal breeding pipeline optimization plan supported by the EiB Platform.
- Support national partners to integrate and build breeding networks with CGIAR institutes and regional national partners.
- Support the development of tools and protocols to enable national partners to modernize breeding approaches aligned with program objectives, best practices and resource levels.
- In collaboration with other Platform staff, seek solutions to common challenges
- Contribute to training strategy and materials; organize workshops and lead hands-on training.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- MSc or PhD in breeding or related field.
- Very good understanding of NARS breeding programs in Africa. 5 to 10 years of experience working with NARS, CGIAR or private sector breeding organizations.
- Ability to work collaboratively in different cultural and institutional settings.
- Ability to conceptualize breeding program challenges, seek and implement applied and effective solutions in conditions with limited resource levels.
- Experience in facilitating and motivating inter-disciplinary team contributions, and building consensus. Able to promote discussion and understand client’s needs, challenges and opportunities.
- Very good written and oral communication skills in English.
- Good presentation skills.
- Able to evolve strategic working relationships with an increasing number of breeding teams.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Problem Solving, Proactivity, Communication, Strategic Thinking and Multi-Cultural Awareness.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS19115 Africa NARS Breeding Optimization Specialist. Screening and follow up will begin on Monday, March 18, 2019.
Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.mx.