Sustainable and ecological intensification of maize farming systems in South East Asia: Identifying key research needs and partnerships
This meeting has been organized as a joint effort between the Centre de Coopération Internationale en Recherche Agronomique pour le Développement (CIRAD) and the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center’s (CIMMYT) Sustainable Intensification Program, in alignment with the MAIZE CGIAR Research Program. We are coming together to explore opportunities for new partnerships and enhanced research collaborations that respond to key problems associated with the South East Asia’s rapidly changing maize farming systems. Our objective is to explore ideas and opportunities for key research issues in Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia. Topics we expect to discuss include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Environmental and social sustainability of production systems that involve maize
- Trajectories of farming systems change and opportunities for diversification involving maize
- Development of value chains involving maize that support smallholder income generation
- Genotype × management × environment interactions in cropping systems with maize as a component
- Interdisciplinary research methods and approaches to the multi-scale study of farming systems involving maize components
- Opportunities for participatory action research, innovation systems, and scaling-out research results into real-world impact
The meeting includes a the field trip at Battambang that will allow participants see CIRAD’s field trials in conservation agriculture, ecological management, and scale-appropriate farm mechanization, and to visit and interact with farmers in their own fields and farms. By the conclusion of this highly interactive meeting, we hope to have identified new research issues, interdisciplinary partnerships, potential funding sources and preliminary strategies to develop enhanced research programs that have impact on these topics across South East Asia.
Your participation will help enormously in meeting these objectives, and we are very excited to see you in Sim Reap!
Please note that meeting participants biographies can be found in Annex 1.