The CGIAR Excellence in Breeding Platform (EiB) (www.excellenceinbreeding.org) is a cross-commodity platform that supports the modernization of breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia, and Latin America for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development. By providing important outcomes to under-resourced peoples, the CGIAR centers help realize the founding mission of the CGIAR system – they target low-and-middle-income countries for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development.
The Platform is part of the new CGIAR portfolio of research programs and platforms (www.cgiar.org/our-strategy) and is led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries (www.cimmyt.org).
The CGIAR Excellence in Breeding Platform (EiB) is recruiting a Data and Informatics Manager for providing project data management support and managing various data science projects and activities. This position will be responsible for working on data management and informatics need of One CGIAR crops projects and assist CGIAR and NARS crop breeding networks in various research data project management activities and project coordination under leadership of Regional Breeding Informatics Lead.
The position will be based in Africa Rice office in Senegal and will work closely with local breeding teams.
- Contribute as a member of OneCGIAR global breeding informatics group to provide data management support for targeted breeding programs.
- Support breeding programs to develop and implement best practice & data management workflows.
- Providing onsite training workshops on breeding management system (BMS) and other digitalization tools.
- Help in the development and implementation of a strategic plan for adoption of software, digitization and standardized protocols.
- Perform plant breeding data management operation.
- Contribute to organizing and delivering OneCGIAR training programs in data management including BMS, barcoding, digitalization and other related topics.
- Commit to continuous improvement in skills related to data management.
- Commit to continuous improvement to meet the service and operational needs of a modern breeding program.
- Support the integration of roles and projects into the new OneCGIAR global units.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Masters in Computer Science / Statistics / Biometrics / Plant Sciences with direct experience in using and supporting breeding data management systems such as BMS.
- Experience in implementing data management systems, pedigree management and understanding of data side of plant breeding activities (nursery, yield trial, disease trial, etc.).
- Experience in developing annual work plans of project implementation.
- Knowledge of relational data management systems and demonstrated ability to extract data and navigate systems; knowledge of systems used in the CGIAR (e.g. BMS).
- Experience in uses of breeding informatics applications such as Fieldbook and Breeding View
- Demonstrated experience supporting breeders in established best practice on use of data management tools for various stages of plant breeding.
- Experience in implementing plant breeding databases and modernization initiatives.
- Experience working within international organizations or multicultural organizations desired.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical and Creative Thinking, Teamwork, Communication and Client Orientation.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds.
Candidates must apply here for SN22156_Specialist, Data Management & Informatics. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Tuesday, September 13th, 2022. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.