The Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) is a non-profit international research institute dedicated to food, nutrition and livelihood security as well as environmental rehabilitation in South Asia, which is home to more than 300 million undernourished people. BISA is a collaborative effort involving CIMMYT and the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR). Please refer to these website for more information: www.bisa.org and www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking dynamic, innovative and self-motivated professional with a specialization in Agricultural/hydrological Modelling. This will be a Locally Recruited Position for the CCAFS to work within CIMMYT-BISA. We are expecting the Spatial Modelling Specialist to lead the work on crop and hydrological modelling for making informed decisions on climate risk management, climate change adaptation at the farm scale to the policy level. S/he will report to the Regional Program Leader, CCAFS – South Asia and will be based in Delhi.
The main responsibilities of this position will be:
- To provide modelling support to the CCAFS team-including climatic risk analysis, crop modelling, insurance product development and climate impact assessment.
- Assist, as required, in the spatial modeling activities and be responsible for preparation and handling large datasets, spatial analyses and geographic information system (GIS) mapping, as and when requested.
- Apply machine learning or other computational approaches to develop, improve and scale the solutions to these problems.
- Understand the core scientific questions and develop methodology to best address these questions.
- Document results for reports, blogs and journal publications.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualification, skills and attitudes:
- Minimum M.Sc/M.Tech, preferably Ph.D. or equivalent in Agricultural Sciences, Civil/Computer Engineering, GeoInformatics, Hydrology, Meteorology, or relevant subjects.
- Excellent programming skills.
- At least 2 years of working experience in similar area is desirable.
- Advance knowledge of spatial analysis using R/Python and GEE.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Problem Solving and Decision-making, Creative Thinking, Teamwork, Communication and Team Leadership.
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. BISA offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
Email cover letter and CV as a single document with last drawn salary, salary expectations and notice period no later than Monday, 5 April, 2021 to Human Resources, CIMMYT / BISA
(Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Please insert Position Reference number: IN21111 in the subject of your email).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT-BISA is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com