The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT seeks an innovative, self-motivated, and results-oriented candidate for the position of Spatial Economist to conduct policy-oriented research on improving maize and wheat agri-food systems in South Asia and other parts of the developing world. The holder of this position should conduct and contribute to collaborative research at the nexus of agricultural research, applied micro-economic research, and geo-spatial modeling of human and biophysical systems, drawing on diverse data sources, and using integrative quantitative methodological approaches.
The specific research focus of this position is to better understand the opportunities for sustainable intensification in smallholder farming systems, through the use of geospatial analysis and modeling approaches. An important aspect of the work is to take quantitative insights from household survey data (e.g., agronomic and economic returns to technology adoption) and to incorporate such insights into geospatial models of potential impacts of technology change at scale, under a variety of assumptions. As such, a familiarity with production functions, farm models and/or microeconomic models of technology adoption decisions will be useful. Similarly, a skillset involving applied econometric analysis as well as geospatial modeling will be useful. Machine learning expertise may also be valuable in this context. However, empirical modeling approaches that are grounded in theory (of agricultural production and/or behavioral aspects of technology adoption and farm management decision-making) will likely be important. An important output of this work will be plausible ex ante return-on-investment (ROI) analysis around the aggregate benefits to technology changes targeted by project investments. Both traditional (aspatial) and spatially explicit approaches to such ROI estimates may be of interest. Another important analytical output is household- and geography-specific aids to targeting technology promotion efforts by national extension systems and development partners.
The position will contribute to a number of research activities focused on South Asia and possibly elsewhere. This position will work as a member of CIMMYT’s Cereal System Intensification South Asia (CSISA) project (www.csisa.org) close collaboration with other CIMMYT programs and with public, private, local and international partners.
The position will be based in CIMMYT’s campus in Delhi, India. The position may begin remotely from your home base or current location if organizational approval for the relocation to India is delayed due to COVID 19.
- Contribute to the development of analytical models for ex ante evaluation of impacts of new production technologies at scale using a variety of analytical approaches (possibly including traditional economic surplus approaches, as well as spatial models of technology impact and adoption)
- Delivery of ex ante analyses of impacts of technology change at scale in project areas of interest (including spatial out of sample predictions that acknowledge geographic and household heterogeneity)
- Integration of data from multiple sources, e.g., household surveys, farm trials, market information, earth observation and other geospatial data
- Provide support to the development of project proposals and reports
- Produce peer-reviewed research articles
- Collaboration and capacity building of national collaborators
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- A PhD in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Resource Economics or another quantitatively-oriented social science
- Between 2 to five years post-doctoral experience
- Peer-reviewed publications
- Experience with microeconomic models of technology adoption
- Experience with econometric analysis of survey data, including panel data
- Experience with analysis of geospatial data, spatial modeling and geographic information systems
- Competency in Stata, R and/or Python
- Expertise in working with large datasets
- An ability to teach others
- Experience in a role of a similar nature
- Experience with machine learning approaches to data-mining and prediction
- Experience with spatial econometric models and estimation strategies
- Experience with RCTs and field experimental approaches to impact evaluation
- Development of tools for quick monitoring of data collected via CAPI software
- Experience with Shiny applications in R
- Familiarity with agent-based models
- Understanding of database architecture and competency in SQL or related database query languages
- Experience with data visualization
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Critical Thinking and Teamwork
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS21127_Spatial Economist. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday, August 20th, 2021. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.