The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking to recruit a dynamic Spatial Economic Modeler to conduct ex ante economic assessments of agricultural investments and related foresight modeling work. This position will support research activities under the Foresight and Excellence in Agronomy initiatives of the One CGIAR. The Spatial Economist will work within Sustainable Agri-food Systems (SAS) and will report to the Lead Economist (Inclusive Value Chains) and the principal investigators of the project involved.
The position will be based in either Nairobi, Kenya, or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Develop and/or adapt ex ante analytical frameworks and protocols for agronomy projects, including implementing survey protocols and data management for agronomy investments in the Excellence in Agronomy One CGIAR initiative and related project activities.
- Develop novel methods and reproducible workflows for foresight analysis of relevance to the One CGIAR initiative on Foresight and Metrics to Accelerate Food, Land, and Water Systems Transformation.
- Design and supervise ex ante impact analyses of project activities, as needed.
- Organize, manage, and analyze primary data collection through focus group discussions, key informant interviews, farm household surveys, and market surveys.
- Compile national and state statistics and review the existing literature, including peer-reviewed publications, unpublished reports, and government policy documents.
- Strengthen the impact culture within CIMMYT and among partners through better articulation of impact pathways and ex ante / ex post impact evaluations.
- Contribute to project reporting and preparation of scientific manuscripts to be published in high-impact, peer-reviewed journals.
- Build institutional networks and contacts for the effective functioning of the current project and for developing future collaborations.
- Contribute to building up the associated funding base.
Required qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- D. in economics, geography, statistics, computer science, or another discipline with topical and methodological relevance for the applied analysis of agriculture and rural development.
- At least 2 years of Postdoctoral work experience in a developing country context. However, recent Ph.D. graduates from internationally ranked institutes with strong analytical skills are also encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated skills in spatial modeling, econometric analysis, and/or machine learning methods. Familiarity with field experiments (e.g., RCT design and implementation) and/or spatial econometrics and/or geo-statistics would be valuable.
- Demonstrated ability to collect primary and secondary data and develop analytical frameworks on tradeoff analysis, policy/market analysis, and business model analysis.
- Experience in quantitative adoption and impact analysis would be a plus.
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work with deadlines and deliver quality products.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- The selected candidate should exhibit the following competencies: Client Orientation, Negotiation, and Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Teamwork, and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health, and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22166_Spatial Economist.
Screening and follow-up of applications will begin on Friday, January 13th, 2023. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.