The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a dynamic and self-motivated researcher to lead an ambitious research agenda that explores private sector engagement in the production and distribution of critical inputs including machinery for small-scale agriculture. The work will be carried out in the framework of two large-scale development projects, one in Nepal and the other in Bangladesh. The selected candidate, in coordination with a team of social scientists, research assistants, and communications specialists in each country, will design and implement a cutting-edge research-for-development agenda that explores research areas related to business strategies and capacities, business models and implications for production and distribution, gender equity in access to agricultural inputs, and innovative solutions to support SME development. The position offers a unique opportunity to guide the design and implementation of large-scale agricultural development interventions across two countries, as well as support CIMMYT in the expansion of its research and development agenda across the region.
- Lead a cutting-edge research-for-development agenda related to private sector production and distribution of agricultural inputs, to include themes related to SME development, marketing, social inclusion, public-private partnerships, innovation systems, value chain development, social and behavioral change, and impact assessment.
- Contribute to building the capacity of local staff and project partners (e.g. government agencies, industry associations, businesses, NGO’s and donors) on themes relevant to the position.
- Engage with project partners on the design and implementation of project activities and provide evidence-based options for refinement of activities to achieve greater impact and scale in less time.
- Translate experiences and research findings into evidence-based priorities and recommendations for governments, donors, researchers and development practitioners, to include publications in reputable international peer-reviewed journals.
- Engage extensively with CIMMYT’s market and value chain team in Latin America and Eastern Africa in the generation of cross-regional research and resource mobilization.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Strong interest in applied research in a developing-country context, to include extensive engagement with multidisciplinary project teams.
- PhD degree in development economics, rural development, agribusiness, agricultural economics, or similar discipline, with at least 3 years of experience in the field.
- Experience in effectively leading small teams in the design and implementation of research, to include the use of mixed research methods (quantitative and qualitative).
- Demonstrated capacity to design and implement innovative research and publish research findings in peer-reviewed journals.
- Experience working in the context of USAID funded projects is desirable.
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively, respectfully and inclusively in a diverse, multicultural, multidisciplinary work environment.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Proactivity, Problem Solving, Decision-making, Achievement Orientation, Communication and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS20114_ Social Scientist – Market and Value Chain Development
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday, October 2nd, 2020. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. This is a re-advertisement of the earlier IRS20114_Social Scientist – Market and Value Chain Development and those that applied to the earlier position do not need to reapply. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.