The Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) is a non-profit international research institute dedicated to food, nutrition and livelihood security as well as environmental rehabilitation in South Asia, which is home to more than 300 million undernourished people. BISA is a collaborative effort involving CIMMYT and the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR). Please refer to this website for more information: http://bisa.org/
We are seeking dynamic, innovative, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Senior Aquaculture Specialist depending on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate, to work within BISA’s new collaboration with WorldFish. WorldFish is an international, nonprofit research organization with headquarters in Penang, Malaysia, and offices in Asia, Africa, and the Pacific. WorldFish’s mission is to harness the potential of fisheries and aquaculture to reduce poverty and hunger in developing countries. Please refer to this website for more information: www.worldfishcenter.org
The position will be based at Cuttack (Odisha).
- Provide technical inputs for preparation of annual Action Plan of the project and also to prepare project proposals for various central and state plan schemes, as per the requirement of the F&ARD Department.
- In consultation with the Project Nodal officer of the F&ARD Department and Project Manager, prepare the modalities of implementation of technical assistance to farmers.
- Lead the implementation of the annual Action Plan especially under the components of Carp Intensification, Carp-mola polyculture, GIFT farm demonstration, reservoir stocking of carp fingerlings raised in captive pen nurseries, reservoir cage culture and achieve the targets.
- Supervise the Zonal Managers and District Managers of the project for delivery of farm-gate extension services to beneficiary farmers and stakeholders.
- Coordinate with Deputy Director of Fisheries of various Zones and District Fisheries Officers of the Department for smooth and timely implementation of the project activities.
- Prepare training manuals and other extension materials on various aquaculture activities and distribute it to the stakeholders on timely basis.
- Conduct regular trainings for beneficiary farmers and other stakeholders on BMPs for carp farming, carp-mola polyculture, GIFT farming reservoir, stocking of carp fingerlings raised in captive pen nurseries and reservoir cage culture.
- Coordinate with line departments such as Department of Women and Child Development and Mission Shakti, Department of Panchayati Raj, Department of Water Resources and Irrigation, Odisha Livelihoods Mission and ICAR-CIFRI, ICAR-CIFA, OUAT and other relevant agencies for efficient and effective scaling of the activities.
- Assist in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) activities under the project. And also assist in regularly updating the GIS based MIS system in the Project Management Unit (PMU).
- Assist the Project Manager in preparing the Monthly and Annual Project Progress Reports.
- Perform any other project related duties as and when necessary, as per the guidance of the Project Manager.
We are seeking candidates with the following academic qualifications, experience, skills and attitudes:
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in implementation of aquaculture development projects and extension services.
- Experience in commercial freshwater carp culture and tilapia culture is highly desirable.
- Experience in research oriented projects and publication in scientific journals is highly advantageous.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in working with staff at all levels, including field staff
- Strong fluency in written and oral English. Working knowledge in Hindi/Odia is essential.
- Good working skills in computer (MS Office) and smart phone.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. BISA offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
Email cover letter and CV as a single document with last drawn salary, salary expectations and notice period no later than Wednesday, 17 July, 2019 to Human Resources, CIMMYT/BISA.
(Email: email@example.com / Please insert Position Reference number: IN19133 in the subject of your email)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Women are encouraged to apply.
BISA is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org