The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
The selected candidate will contribute a core role to the Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia (CSISA) Phase III and aligned projects including new efforts to Fight Back against Fall Armyworm in Bangladesh. You can learn more about CSISA here: http://csisa.org/. The individual selected will be expected and asked to contribute to a multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional team working to improve farm productivity, food security, and income generation in cereal based production systems. Activities are in close collaboration with government and private sector partners, as well as NGOs. The Senior Agricultural Training and Education Specialist will facilitate the development of training materials, including modules, manuals, videos, and through other media and ICTs, organize trainings and experiential learning activities with public and private sector partners, participate in business skills trainings for farmers, work to align CSISA activities with gender sensitive programming, and track progress of trainings and outcomes through maintenance of training databases. The Senior Agricultural Training and Education Specialist will also contribute strongly to the development of educational materials and assuring the delivery of quality trainings for the public and private sector on integrated pest management with an emphasis on Fall Armyworm and Wheat Blast disease.
The Training Specialist will report directly to CSISA’s leadership team, including the CSISA Project Leader.
The position will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh and will require extensive travel between project sites, primarily Jessore, Faridpur, Barisal and Dinajpur, and possibly to locations in the Terrai of Nepal.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Interact with CIMMYT and other scientists in National Research and Extension institutes, as well as private sector partners, to collect technical information and best practices for farm management and translate these messages into easy-to-understand educational formats including modules, manuals, and other media.
- Work to increase the gender of training programs developed by CIMMYT, by integrating strong gender appropriate messaging into training programs.
- With partners, develop appropriate training and extension materials on agricultural practices and business models for farmers and rural entrepreneurs.
- Develop training material and facilitate workshops and hands-on training on integrated pest management including for Fall Armyworm.
- Facilitate high-level interactions with national and private sector partners to develop appropriate training materials and procedures for each group.
- Write training modules in collaboration with CIMMYT’s staff (including interacting with designers to develop graphical training manuals for low-literacy audiences, experiential-learning based training modules, possibly posters and flip-charts, etc.)
- Pre-test modules in the field with farmers, extension partners and private sector collaborators. Revise the modules based on farmers’ feedback on an iterative basis to improve their quality.
- Identify, test, and apply appropriate outreach/extension strategies and promotional materials for technical and business related information on agricultural machinery and crop intensification technologies.
- Work to incorporate research into training and extension programs by actively collecting data on the performance of different training methods and approaches in different parts of Bangladesh, using the resulting data to improve training approaches and programming.
- Increase the use of ICTs and visual media to deliver appropriate training and extension at scale.
- Carry out activities as assigned by the supervisors to achieve these objectives.
Education, Knowledge and Work Experience Required:
- Masters’ Degree or above in agricultural extension, agricultural sciences, pest management, education, or related fields. Other degrees will be considered in case of exceptional candidates.
- Advanced knowledge and evidence of achievements in experiential learning and training approaches in rural development.
- Demonstrated experience in leading training programs for the public and private sector in integrated pest management.
- Five or more years in a similar role leading training efforts in agricultural and rural development programs. Less years of experience will be considered in circumstances of exceptional candidates.
- Ability to take initiative and develop and test educational material, carry out and explain computations or to resolve complex problems.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and manage data related to training and uptake of training messages by farmers in rural development.
- Understanding and experience of assuring gender-equitable outcomes in education and training for agricultural development.
- Outgoing, innovative work outlook and ability to work effectively with minimum supervision
- Knowledge of, and ideally demonstrated achievements in the use of ICTs to deliver training information to farmers at scale.
- Experience with video scripting and production is desirable.
- Advanced managerial competence, strong communication and soft skills, and ability to lead and inspire teams.
- Excellent spoken, written, and listening skills in English and Bangla. Fluency to persuade, negotiate, coach, conceptualize and train.
- Travel may account for over half the time requirements of this position.
- Must be able to show training materials, outputs and achievements (e.g. example modules, training manuals, examples of training courses conducted, etc.)
The position is for Bangladesh Nationals for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year, with a three-month initial probationary period, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT will provide a nationally competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive health and life insurance, paid vacation, contributions to a retirement plan, and a range of other benefits as required by Bangladesh law.
Application through email to Human Resources no later than Tuesday 13 August 2019, CIMMYT (Email: CIM-Recruitment-BD@cgiar.org) with a cover letter (no more than 1 page). Please indicate Position Name & Job Ref no-B19139 in the subject of your email. Applications that do not point toward the Job Ref no. in the subject will not be considered.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org