The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT seeks an excellent Biometrician/Statistician to work in the Genetic Resources Program (GRP) to strengthen our research teams in Africa. This is a great opportunity for a results-oriented scientist to contribute expertise in experimental design and data analysis, and share responsibility and recognition for enhancing the genetic gains and impact of our research. S/he will be a member of our Biometrics and Statistics Unit (BSU), contributing to global capacity development activities and research methods development and publications.
The position will be based at either in Nairobi, Kenya or Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Support the implementation of best-practice and state-of-the-art experimental designs and data analysis methods (e.g. generalized mixed-models and multivariate analyses) in CIMMYT’s African breeding, agronomic, and social science research programs to improve productivity and food security.
- Contribute to statistical genetic analyses integrating genomic and phenotypic data.
- Provide training in statistical methods and applications to CIMMYT and partner scientists.
- Publish scientific articles in refereed journals documenting research advances.
- Develop research in applied statistical methodology to enhance the efficiency of CIMMYT’s agricultural research in collaboration with other BSU members, and CIMMYT and partner scientists.
- Develop and maintain scripts and statistics tools for use in data analyses.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- A PhD in statistics, biometrics or biometrical genetics. The level of appointment will depend on the candidate’s experience and skills.
- Minimum three years of experience in one or more of the following areas: statistical analysis, experimental design, mixed linear models, analysis of molecular data, machine learning.
- Evidence of successful experience in biometrics and statistical analyses, consulting and training in relation to plant breeding and agricultural research.
- Excellent statistical computing skills, including proficiency in SAS, ASReml, R.
- Computer programming experience (e.g. C, C++, Fortran) would be advantageous.
- A good understanding of quantitative and population genetics.
- Experience in teaching applied statistics.
- Experience in a multi-disciplinary, collaborative team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Some knowledge of Spanish is advantageous
- Desire and ability to work respectfully and inclusively in a diverse, multicultural, multidisciplinary work environment.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Collaboration, Innovation and Creativity, Strategic Thinking, Flexibility/Adaptability.
The position is for an initial fixed-term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS19113_Scientist-Biometrician/Statistician. Screening and follow up will begin on Monday, March 4, 2019. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (email@example.com)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.mx.