The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, focused on increasing food security and reducing poverty at an international scale. Please refer to our website for more information www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking for a dynamic, and self-motivated professional with excellent organizational and people skills for the position of Scientific Officer – Maize Doubled Haploid Facility.
The position will be based in Kunigal (about 60 kms drive from Bengaluru), India.
The main responsibilities of this position will be:
1. Planning and implementing field activities
- Manage operations for the haploid induction nursery, inducer seed increases, and D0 nursery, in collaboration with scientific supervisor.
- Supervise agronomic management of the nurseries to establish and maintain healthy crop free of diseases, pests, and weeds.
- Data collection and analysis.
- Manage inventory of seed and coordinate seed shipments.
2. Planning and implementing laboratory and greenhouse activities.
- Supervise all the laboratory and greenhouse activities.
- Data collection and analysis.
- Train staff and Implement proper occupational health and safety protocols.
3. Managing the DH facility at ARS (Agriculture Research Station)-Kunigal
- Ensure timely procurement, and maintain proper inventories of all assets, supplies, etc. at the facility and regularly report on the same to the supervisor and finance team.
- Ensure timely repairs to the facility infrastructure in consultation with supervisor.
- Ensure timely maintenance and upkeep of equipment and machinery.
4. Managing human resources:
- Plan for hiring temporary workers as needed and based on available budget
- Efficiently allocate casual labor to different tasks
- Prepare periodic muster rolls for casual laborers engaged and submit to supervisor and finance team for payment processing
- Train personnel in various activities related to DH line production and research
- Coordinate performance evaluations of DH staff in consultation with respective supervisors
5. Facilitate the organization of training courses, workshops and provide support to visitors
- Make periodic reports of various activities undertaken at the facility to the supervisor/s
- Travel as per the needs of the job
- Any other activities as assigned by the supervisors
6. As a Kunigal-based member of the CIMMYT-Global Maize Program (GMP), the selected candidate will work in close interface with CIMMYT-GMP scientists, as well as with scientists/clients from the national institutions (including not-for-profit, public as well as private) in South Asia.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualification, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s degree in Agriculture or a related field.
- At least 4-5 years of work experience in maize breeding/research related activities.
- Effective team leadership and high level of responsibility and discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large scale field, greenhouse and laboratory activities.
- Demonstrated competence in the use of computer software for data management and analysis.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Ability to communicate in Hindi and Kannada desirable.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- The candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Strategic Thinking, Problem Solving, Critical Thinking, Communication and Team-Work.
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 3 years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
Email cover letter and CV as a single document with last drawn salary, salary expectations and notice period no later than Tuesday, 29 March, 2022 to Human Resources, CIMMYT
(Email: email@example.com / Please insert Position Reference number: IN22128 in the subject of your email).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org