The international Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, Known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a dynamic, self-motivated and service-oriented professional for the position of Project Manager.
CIMMYT has been working in Afghanistan for more than ten years, and is working for the ultimate benefit of Afghan farmers to sustainably increase production and productivity of Wheat and Maize in Afghanistan.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s office in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- Manage and execute GRAIN research (agronomic and breeding) trials and in-country training activates.
- Direct oversight of agronomy and breeding field trial care and maintenance.
- Initiate and validate that ARIA researchers are receiving necessary back stopping for technical questions, and timely one-the-job training activities for ARIA related to research techniques, data collection, pest identification and pest management and others.
- Conducts initial pesticide safety training for interns and new employees as well as conducting quarterly environmental compliance updates in each province area.
- Participate/facilitates all in-country trainings and assist/advises local trainers with development of training materials, presentations and development of pre-post tests.
- Assist ARIA researchers with scientific conference applications, development of abstracts, and presentation format.
- Coordinate directly with CCR, GRAIN Communication and CIMMYT for proper USAID, MAIL and CIMMYT identification and logos.
- The holder of the position will be responsible for:
- All logistical and financial needs for trial maintenance, including crop inputs, all casual labor, support for training activities conducted on the research farms related to trials and professional improvement.
- Enforcing all USAID requirements for Environmental Compliance including screening of restricted product requests, matching request with the approve purchase list for restricted products, maintain accurate records for restricted items purchases including amount of product purchased. Transactions must be included in the monthly report to CCR who will pass it on to the DCOP/ECO.
- Compiling the weekly regional reports from the provinces and uploaded into Teamwork.
- Monitoring research activities through the dashboard of the DMS and report weekly research activities on Teamwork.
- Together with the Technical team, and the GRAIN DCOP, contribute to the development of the Annual Work Plan and quarterly reports.
- Ensure that all CIMMYT/GRAIN activities are reported on the Teamwork Calendar.
- Assist the DCOP as the point of contact (POC) for MAIL/ARIA communication on techical topics.
- Other tasks as required for executing the project.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in Genetics/ Plant Breeding or related disciplines of Agronomy/ Plant Pathology etc., with 5 years of experience in wheat research and project management
- Desirable: Experience in conducting environmental training programs with full knowledge of USAID’s environmental compliance requirements.
- Extensive experience in planning, coordinating and implementing professional training programs for the research community within Afghanistan.
- At times, lead planning and implementation for local and international training and workshops.
- Demonstrated management skills, including direct supervision of professional staff.
- Ability to plan and manage large comprehensive and complex agriculture programs.
- Proven record of leadership in design and management, as well as experience leading supply chain and technical assistance programs.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in working collaboratively and effectively engaging with other donors; host country institutions, and international organizations.
- Working knowledge of USG-funded program management, policies, regulations, and procedures are required.
- Oral and written fluency in Dari and English.
We will offer an initial contract for 1 year, which may be renewable subject to continued need and funding for the position and performance of the staff member.
Note: All applicants must not have any criminal record and must not have faced any type of legal/police action in past. Not disclosing any relevant information or submitting information will lead to immediate disqualification / termination.
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and CV no later than Tuesday, 19 May 2020 to Human Resources, CIMMYT(Email: email@example.com / Please indicate position reference number: A20113 in the header of your email).
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org