The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an experienced professional to lead an initiative in Africa and India as Project Manager, where CIMMYT is supporting the GIZ Green Innovation Centers (GIC) and reach its objective in mechanization to “Contribute to employment promotion and income increase for 240,000 smallholder households and 1,000 SMEs”. CIMMYT provides technical advice and support to:
- The members of the cross-country working group (WG) on mechanization of the global programme GIC.
- The project staff and partners of the GIC country projects.
- The members of the steering committee of the global programme GIC.
The position will be based in CIMMYT’s campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The position may begin remotely from your home base or current location if organizational approval for the relocation to Ethiopia is delayed due to COVID 19.
- Technical steering of the work packages of the WG on post-harvest technologies, women friendly mechanization, collaborations with private sector and mechanization capacity development hubs.
- Cooperation with the steering unit of the global programme and provide support and advice to in the event of enquiries from the BMZ (German: Bundesministerium für wirtschaftliche Zusammenarbeit und Entwicklung), the Bundestag (German parliament) and other relevant parties.
- Support for the development and implementation of training measures.
- Preparation of semi-annual reports on mechanization activities in all GIC country projects of the global programme.
- Support the development and implementation of south-south CIMMYT mechanization strategy.
- Development of Capacity Development (CD) strategy and its implementation in collaboration with partners.
- Capacity Development of partners including around scaling and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (M&E&L) for scaling mechanization.
- Coordination and administration of experts and partners inputs, including liaison with CIMMYT and partners’ experts.
- Facilitate and support the organization of virtual and live mechanization WG meetings in partner countries and in Germany.
- Promote GIC countries cross country expertise and experience exchange between themselves according to their interest and priority.
- Technical responsibility for the implementation of the grant agreement and its four areas of intervention (cross country working group, work packages, support to steering unit and communication).
- Support the development of project research questions coming from project four core areas of intervention to reach the global mechanization objective of the GIZ GIC.
- Develop ToR for mechanization consultancy and identify suitable candidate from the CIMMYT developed expert’s database as per GIC country projects request.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- MSc in agricultural mechanization, capacity development, agricultural extension, or any other relevant field.
- At least 8 years’ proven experience in designing and implementing of capacity development programs with specific focus on agricultural technology adoption, industry related experience, institutional development at local level/regional level in a developing country context.
- Knowledgeable about state of the art on scaling and proven ability to work beyond plot level on issues related to the enabling environment for large scale adoption.
- Solid understanding of agricultural research for development and processes in Africa.
- Demonstrated ability to align agricultural value chains and work with the private sector in business model development and implementation.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to work in different cultural contexts, with awareness of cultural sensitivities and processes in Africa, India, and Germany.
- Fluency in oral and written English and French is required. Knowledge of German language is desirable.
- Computer literate, including ability to use programs such as Word, Excel and Power Point and being able to set up an online database of training materials and excellent command of virtual meeting platforms.
- Understanding of database structure and development to track scaling and for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- Experience with ICT and e-learning in agriculture would be a plus.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical and Creative Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Client Orientation and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS21116_Project Manager – Agricultural Mechanization. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Wednesday, July 7th, 2021. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.