The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic and self-motivated Post-Doctoral Fellow with cereal genetics/breeding experience to join the CIMMYT global wheat improvement team working in collaboration with various national and international partners to develop adapted wheat germplasm for wheat growing environments of Asia, Africa and Latin America. The Post-Doctoral Fellow will be integrated with the Wheat Breeding team in Mexico. The position is supported by a project from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and UK Department for International Development (DFID) and focuses on Zn mainstreaming while accelerating the genetic gain for grain yield and other traits in wheat.
The position will be based in CIMMYT’s Main Campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico (located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico).
- Work closely with CIMMYT wheat breeding team in developing and implementing breeding strategies to achieve Zn-mainstreaming in breeding germplasm while accelerating genetic gain for grain yield, Zn and other traits.
- Contribute to all other wheat breeding activities including rapid cycling, selection, phenotyping, data management and analysis.
- Apply quantitative genetics-based plant breeding techniques and genomic selection pipeline to achieve faster genetic gains for grain yield and Zn.
- Support phenotypic and genotypic data analysis and reporting of projects.
- Support various training activities.
- Publish scientific and technical findings as project-related publications and publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Other duties and responsibilities assigned as needed.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Strong interest in applied wheat breeding.
- A recent PhD degree in breeding or genetics, preferably with wheat or other cereals.
- Experience with genetics, modern breeding methods (e.g. genomic selection, quantitative genetics theory).
- Statistical skills, knowledge of electronic data collection, databases, data management and interpretation.
- An ability to communicate and collaborate effectively and build capacity.
- Demonstrated capacity to publish research findings in reputable peer-reviewed journals.
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively and respectfully and inclusively in a diverse, multicultural, multidisciplinary work environment.
- Significant amount of national and international travel will be required.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical and Creative Thinking, Problem Solving and decision making, Communication and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS20123_ Post-Doctoral Fellow – Wheat Breeding Zn Mainstreaming. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday September 7th, 2020. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.