The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic and self-motivated Post-Doctoral Fellow to join the Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia (www.csisa.org) team, based in India. CSISA, supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the US Agency for International Development, is CIMMYT’s flagship for sustainable intensification in South Asia and incorporates programming across the innovation to impact continuum in Nepal, Bangladesh, and selected states in India.
The Post-Doctoral Fellow should show skills in data analysis and/or data science to help analyse CSISA data. While an agricultural background is desirable, we are interested in candidates with strong analytical skills from other disciplines (e.g. ecology, economics, climate). In particular, we are looking for scientists interested in analysing and modelling spatial agronomy data sets and integrating spatial agronomic data with other data streams, including soils, water, climate and socio-economic data. CSISA and partners have been conducting a representative, large-scale (n=’000) rice and wheat production practices survey, including yield measurement, in India (principally in Bihar, Odisha, eastern UP and Andhra Pradesh). Analysing these data will form the core of the work. You will work closely with the CSISA crop, soil and social scientists and be expected to support field data collection and knowledge sharing.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s New Delhi, India office.
- Conduct research in various projects having an ‘agronomy to scale’ component in the region, particularly on targeting and impact modelling.
- Development of analytics to guide the targeting of a suite of interventions and model their future impact.
- Integration and processing of large datasets from multiple sources.
- Database management.
- Develop and/or adapt ICT-based tools for field data collection of agronomic and socioeconomic data.
- Development of scripts and tools for statistical analysis that can be used by scientists to analyze their data.
- Provide technical support and capacity building for CIMMYT scientists and national partners.
- Provide support to the development of project proposals and reports.
- Produce peer-reviewed research articles.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD degree in Agronomy, Ecology, or Economics or any related discipline with strong background in Statistical Analysis and Computing.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: statistical analysis, mixed linear models, machine learning, crop modelling, geospatial analysis.
- Strong understanding of database architecture, statistics, data visualization, etc.
- Expertise in working with large data sets and the ability to integrate and interpret multi-thematic data.
- Proficiency in computer programming and statistical computing (e.g. Python, R, MATLAB).
- Experience and/or knowledge of farming systems research methods.
- Experience with modelling climatic and/or environmental systems highly desirable.
- Experience with spatial modeling, use of geospatial data, remote sensing and geographical information systems highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to publish peer-reviewed papers (minimum of three published papers demonstrating data analysis/or data science skills).
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Team Leadership, Critical Thinking and Problem Solving and decision-making.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS20112_ Post-Doctoral Fellow – Spatial Agronomic Data. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday April 17th, 2020. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.