The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
(CIMMYT) is seeking to recruit a dynamic and experienced agricultural economist to conduct economic assessment of farmer incentive schemes (e.g., carbon credits) to increase the adoption of regenerative agriculture or Conservation Agriculture (CA), which would lead to sequestration of soil organic carbon and reduced greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from agricultural production and generate carbon credits for the farmers. The Post-Doctoral Fellow – Resource and Environmental Economist, will work within Sustainable Agri-food Systems (SAS) and will report to the Lead Economist (Monitoring & Adoption) and the principal investigators of the project involved.
The position will be based at CIMMYT office in Hyderabad, India.
- Develop and validate Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) framework and protocols and spatial data for carbon credits, including implementing survey protocols and data management for carbon credit monitoring with farmers, researchers, and all stakeholders.
- Design and supervise economic analyses of carbon credit schemes and dissemination of regenerative agriculture and CA practices in South Asia, particularly in India.
- Conduct policy and market analyses, tradeoff analysis for subsidies v/s incentives for regenerative agriculture practices and stakeholder consultation with a particular focus on carbon market development and popularization of sustainable agricultural practices among smallholder farmers.
- Analyze the potential for carbon trading in agriculture and develop market intelligence system for carbon trading
- Organize, manage, and analyze primary data collection through focus group discussions, key informant interviews, farm household surveys, and market surveys.
- Compile national and state statistics and review the existing literature, including peer-reviewed publications, unpublished reports, and government policy documents.
- Strengthen the impact culture within CIMMYT and among partners through better articulation of impact pathways and ex ante / ex post impact evaluations.
- Contribute to project reporting and preparation of scientific manuscripts to be published in high-impact, peer-reviewed journals.
- Build institutional networks and contacts for effective functioning of current project and for developing future collaborations.
- Contribute to build up the associated funding base.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in agricultural economics, or in developmental/environmental/institutional economics with research experience in agriculture and rural development.
- At least 2 years of Postdoctoral work experience in a developing country context. However, recent PhD graduates from international agriculture/advanced institutes with strong analytical skills are also encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated skills on spatial economics/geo-spatial analysis, environmental economics.
- Demonstrated ability to collect primary and secondary data and developing analytical frameworks on tradeoff analysis, policy/market analysis, business model analysis.
- Experience in quantitative adoption and impact would be a plus.
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Willingness to travel to rural villages of South Asian countries.
- Demonstrated ability to work with deadlines and deliver quality products.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Critical Thinking, Client Orientation, and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22137_ Post-Doctoral Fellow – Resource and Environmental Economist.
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, September 5th, 2022. Applications must include a CV, with contact details of 3 work-related references and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.