The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an experienced and result-oriented professional for the position Post Doctoral Fellow – Mechanization, to work in the Sustainable Intensification Program.
The position will be based in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Work closely with CIMMYT staff and assume the day-to-day management of research programs focused on appropriate-scale mechanization.
- Oversee engineering and site-specific adaptation work with national partners in regional programs.
- Adapt machinery options to the circumstances of small-scale, resource-constrained farmers.
- Provide practical training to local researchers, extension agents, service providers, artisans and mechanics on appropriate-scale mechanization as wanted and needed by different project objectives.
- Coordinate the establishment of networks of mechanization demonstration trials.
- Collect and analyze monitoring data as per project requirements.
- Maintain data records, enter data into electronic data bases, and maintain data archiving and back-up systems.
- Assist machinery users in the different projects with trouble shooting of innovative equipment.
- Supervise second generation engineering activities i.e., adjustments, improvements, and modifications of machinery with collaborating service providers, mechanics and artisans.
- Draw machinery and support the design and development of prototypes and improved products and product parts.
- Develop models of parts and assembled parts in 3D.
- Calculate the durability and reliability of prototypes.
- Prepare documentation for manufacturing, assembly, and instructions plans of prototypes and improved product and product parts.
- Interact and organize meetings with various stakeholders and partners, with a particular emphasis on core partner organizations and private sector, to discuss, streamline, and implement new agricultural machineries in the field.
- Help form partnerships with a wide-range of clientele (including service providers, farmers, NGOs, private and public sector organizations, and scientists) to scale appropriate mechanization in the diverse cropping systems and socioeconomic environments of Southern Africa.
- Support South-South and regional learning between stakeholders in CIMMYT and beyond.
- Document research results in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Help develop new initiatives for appropriate mechanization in the region and elsewhere.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in Agriculture Engineering or closely related field or a MSc. with at least 5-10 years of demonstrated hands-on practical experience.
- Important selection criteria will be mechanization and engineering experience.
- Be familiar with user-centred participatory design.
- Experience with on-farm research with focus on animal traction and small farm mechanization (2-wheel tractors drawn).
- Experience with programs on sustainable land management are an advantage.
- Experience translating research results to extension and policy bulletins and training materials.
- Basic supervisory and teaching skills with demonstrated experience.
- Ability to communicate research results effectively to a wide range of audiences.
- Computer literacy, with proficiency in the common software packages and engineering software (e.g., AutoCAD).
- Flexibility to spend extended periods away from post location.
- Proficient communication skills in written and spoken English.
- Commitment to advances farm productivity and poverty reduction in the developing world.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural partnerships.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Creative and Critical Thinking, Communication, Teamwork and Client Orientation.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS20125_Post-Doctoral Fellow – Mechanization. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, September 14th 2020. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.