The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is looking for an innovative, academically excellent candidate to join our global maize research team. The selected candidate will join the Seeds of Discovery (SeeD) team in the Genetic Resources Program, exploring the vast maize genetic diversity housed in the world’s germplasm banks, with three major objectives:
- Identify novel resistance for abiotic and biotic stresses, and identify novel end-use traits with great economic and social impacts, especially for resource-poor farmers and consumers. Target traits currently include drought, heat, tar spot disease complex, and pigmented (increased anthocyanin) kernel colors.
- Deploy the novel resistance into bridging germplasm that connects the germplasm banks to advanced breeding programs. The germplasm will be well-characterized both phenotypically and genotypically.
- Publish results in peer-reviewed scientific journals, demonstrating effective exploration and use of novel genetic diversity.
The successful candidate will play a key role in achieving our goal of constructing a robust germplasm bridge between currently under-utilized maize germplasm banks and advanced breeding programs in the public and private sectors, providing them with essential novel haplotypes for key traits. She/he will participate in the pipeline decision-making processes for breeding, haplotype discovery and yield trial advancements.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s main campus, 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Assist in the design, deployment and management of field-based evaluations in regular and managed-stress environments.
- Assist in the design, deployment and management of breeding and test cross production nurseries.
- Collaborate in the experimental design and data analysis of phenotypic evaluations and yield trials.
- Collaborate in data analyses to identify novel haplotypes that are not present in the elite breeding germplasm.
- Publish results in high-impact scientific journals.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in Plant Breeding or Genetics.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a traditional field-based plant breeding program.
- Experience or familiarity with the use of molecular markers in breeding.
- Experience in maize breeding desirable.
- Strong competence in statistical methods for agricultural research.
- Strong understanding of quantitative genetics.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in innovation and to work collegially and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of Spanish is desirable but not essential.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Achievement Orientation, Proactivity and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS19119_Post-Doctoral Fellow – Maize Pre-Breeding. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday, 5 April 2019. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.mx.