The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org.
CIMMYT is looking for an innovative, academically excellent candidate to join our Global Wheat Research team as PDF – Nitrogen Use Efficiency to contribute to more efficient nitrogen use in wheat based farming systems.
The successful candidate will play a key role in shaping CIMMYT to design a forward-looking research agenda regarding nitrogen management in cereal-based systems.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Complete a full review of existing methods relating to nitrogen dynamics including those within the BISA and CSISA projects in South Asia, as well as GWP projects based in Ciudad Obregon, Sonora, Mexico.
- Develop and/or apply state-of-the-art methods to monitor soil-plant nitrogen dynamics and assess in-situ Biological Nitrification Inhibition (BNI) performance of promising wheat germplasm in a series of on-going experiments.
- With the CIMMYT-CCAFS team, participate to the multi-level assessment of mitigation potential through better nitrogen management.
- Contribute the development of research proposal(s) related to sustainable nitrogen management practices.
- Lead a research paper on challenges and opportunities of nitrogen management in wheat based systems.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in Agronomy or related field.
- Experience in developing and applying quantitative lab and field methods for nitrogen dynamics in plant and soil.
- Experience with in-vivo BNI performance assessment is a plus.
- Competence in analytical methods for agricultural research.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in innovation and to work collegially and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Achievement Orientation, Proactivity, Strategic Thinking, Multicultural Awareness/Sensitivity and Team work.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS19133_PDF Nitrogen Use Efficiency. Screening and follow up will begin on Thursday, August 29, 2019. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.mx.