The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is seeking to recruit an innovative and academically well-qualified candidate to conduct research and development activities designed to transform the agricultural innovation systems and value chains of Sudan to be more inclusive, demand-driven, sustainable, capable of producing scalable innovations, and more efficient to improve incomes of the rural poor and other marginalized sections of society. The post-doctoral fellow is expected to work closely with CGIAR scientists and private sector actors to design, plan, coordinate, implement, and supervise needed research learnings, their translation, and implementation to support communities in achieving locally determined goals to develop rural societies sustainably, with a strong focus on agriculture and allied sectors.
The post-doctoral position in the field of Gender Equity and Social Inclusion (GESI) will be based in Sudan (Khartoum) or Ethiopia (Addis Ababa) and report to the Senior Gender Advisor and the principal investigators of the project(s) involved.
- As a member of interdisciplinary research teams, the selected candidate will contribute to gaining a better understanding of, and exploring ways for improving, how the development of project interventions (a) equitably benefits women and men, (b) fosters involvement of youth, and (c) improves the well-being of social groups marginalized for their ethnicity, class, or other factors.
- Enable CIMMYT to generate and utilize science-based knowledge of how gender and other social identities shape people’s participation in and benefit from agricultural development in Sudan.
- Facilitate the establishment of inclusive hub networks within the target project geographies to support communities in achieving locally self-determined goals for sustainable development, with a strong focus on agriculture.
- Plan, design, and manage primary data collection through focus group discussions, key informant interviews, farm household surveys, market surveys, and other innovative data collection tools and conduct related data analysis.
- Compile national and subnational statistics and review the existing literature, including peer-reviewed publications, unpublished reports, and government policy documents to support a GESI agenda in research and project implementation.
- Contribute to project reporting and preparation of scientific manuscripts to be published in high-impact, peer-reviewed journals.
- Actively contribute to CIMMYT’s global research agenda-setting, planning, and implementation, as a GESI team member.
- Build institutional networks and contacts for the effective functioning of the current project and for developing future collaborations.
- Contribute to mobilizing resources in support of GESI research.
Required qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- D. in development studies, anthropology, sociology, geography, political science, women’s studies, agricultural economics, and other relevant disciplines with a strong GESI focus.
- At least 2 years of Postdoctoral work experience in a developing country context. However, recent Ph.D. graduates from international agriculture/advanced institutes with strong analytical skills and are encouraged to apply.
- Experience in Sudan or the CWANA region (Central and West Asia and North Africa) will be an added advantage.
- Field-oriented work experience related to agricultural production and utilization systems, including livelihood resilience to climate-related risks and/or sustainable natural resource
- Strong experience in qualitative, quantitative, or mixed-method analytical approaches in GESI research.
- Demonstrated ability to collect primary and secondary data and develop analytical frameworks
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Willingness to travel to rural villages of the intervention countries.
- Demonstrated ability to work with deadlines and deliver quality products.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- The selected candidate should exhibit the following competencies: Client Orientation, Negotiation, and Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Teamwork, and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health, and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22165_Post-Doctoral Fellow, Gender Equity, and Social Inclusion.
Screening and follow-up of applications will begin on Friday, January 13th, 2023. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.