The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking two dynamic and self-motivated Post-Doctoral Scientists to join the Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia (www.csisa.org) team, to be based in Nepal (Kathmandu) and Bangladesh (Dhaka), respectively. CSISA, supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the US Agency for International Development, is CIMMYT’s flagship for sustainable intensification in South Asia and incorporates programming across the innovation to impact continuum in Nepal, Bangladesh, and selected states in India.
- Define needs and act on opportunities for fostering sustainable, environmentally sound, climate resilient and profitable farm management practices and technologies in partnership with the public and private sector.
- Facilitate fine-tuning of key new technologies and crop management practices through adaptive research: including climate smart agronomic management, scale-appropriate machinery, and integrated crop-livestock management practices in collaboration with farmers, agricultural service providers, and the public and private sector.
- With a focus on on-farm research, coordinate participatory trials and surveys on agricultural machinery, crop and resource conserving crop management in cereal-based and livestock-integrated farming systems.
- Work closely with public and private sector partners to develop innovative approaches to extend and scale-out smallholder’s access to new technologies and management practices.
- Provide technical backstopping to public and private collaborators to develop efficient and dynamic research and development programs.
- Work closely with an interdisciplinary team of climatologists, social scientists, agronomists, data scientists, remote sensing specialists, and soil specialists to advance CIMMYT and CSISA’s mission.
- Assist in the design and implementation of capacity building strategies with an emphasis on developing appropriate training content, materials and developing decision support tools for different stakeholder groups.
- Participate in field visits from CSISA, CIMMYT staff, and national and international visitors from different institutions and countries.
- Summarize and communicate project activities to various audiences, while contributing to annual and semi-annual reports.
- Properly maintain and archive agricultural and field data records and maintain data archiving and back-up systems.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed publications.
- Provide technical support for the work of the project’s monitoring and evaluation team.
- Contribute to resource mobilization efforts.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Ph.D. in an agriculture related field (Agronomy, Agroecology, Agricultural Engineering, Irrigation Science, Soil Science, or similar field).
- Demonstrated international research and / or field extension experience.
- Experience in the linkages between agricultural productivity, human nutrition, and/or livestock production and health are advantageous.
- Practical experience training farmers and stakeholders on the principles of agronomy/agricultural management.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation and management of farmer-participatory agricultural field trials, surveys, or decision experiments, preferably in on-farm (non-research station) and farmer-led research settings, with particular emphasis on crop management in rice-, wheat-, or maize-based cropping systems, agricultural machinery, and/or irrigation management.
- Demonstrated experience in crop, farm and/or climate model applications is beneficial for candidacy.
- Interest in exploring relationships between agronomy and human nutritional health are advantageous.
- Prior experience in working with the private sector or developing public-private partnerships is an advantage.
- Good communication skills for farmers, agricultural service providers, extension and outreach professionals, and private sector partners.
- Competence with common computer software packages for communications, data management, and statistical analysis.
- Record of quality peer-reviewed publications.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Creative and Critical Thinking, Communication, and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS20129 and IRS20131_Post-Doctoral Fellow – Cropping Systems Agronomist. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday, October 23rd, 2020. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.