The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an an outstanding, motivated candidate for the position of Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in modelling agricultural crops. The position offers a career opportunity for a researcher interested in the use of crop models for risk assessment and climate change adaptation. The successful candidate will work in the Sustainable Intensification Program as a member of the ARISE project (Agriculture Resilience, Inclusive, and Sustainable Enterprise) funded by the EU, and in collaboration with CIRAD, France and Imperial College, London, UK. She/he will work at the interface of remote sensing, data processing and crop modelling. The work will involve parameterisation and testing of crop models with the integration of different sources of information (ground/field data, agrometeorological data, remote-sensing data, etc) to investigate the effects of crop and soil management on yields under the weather conditions of eastern and southern Africa. Emphasis will be given to the assessment of indices for risk transfer instruments.
The position will be based in CIMMYT’s office in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Data collection, pre-processing (including remote sensing data) and model set-up for simulating crop growth and yields under different scenarios of management for selected regions in eastern and southern Africa, using a grid-based ensemble of simulation models on a High-Performance Computer-based platform.
- Analysis of climate-related risks to crop production using crop models
- Analysis of scaling effects of 1D point simulations to larger scales
- Presentation of the results of the research to academic and policy audiences (including through the writing of peer-reviewed journal articles and policy briefs, and at international conferences).
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD degree preferably in agronomy or more broadly life science with focus on managed ecosystems.
- Experience with use and parameterisation of dynamic simulation models.
- Experience with handling large and multi-source datasets and statistical analyses of experimental and monitoring data.
- Experience with scenario analyses, preferably involving climate change.
- Experience in the manipulation of remote sensing data.
- Willingness to collaborate with others as part of a multi-disciplinary research team.
- Feel comfortable with working independently.
- A proven record of research publications in peer-reviewed international journals.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Client Orientation, Teamwork and Critical Thinking.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS20136_Post-Doctoral Fellow – Crop Modeller. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, January 4th, 2021. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.