The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org.
CIMMYT is looking an outstanding, motivated candidate for the position of Post-Doctoral Fellow / Associate Scientist working on wheat rust resistance genetics and pathology. The position offers an outstanding career opportunity for researchers interested in global wheat research.
The position is available initially for 2 years and the successful candidate will conduct studies to identify, characterize and utilize novel sources of resistance to rusts from the existing improved germplasm and from genetic resources. The candidate will contribute to collaborative research between CIMMYT and other institutions on molecular genetics, rust pathology and wheat breeding. Research activities include identification and characterization of new sources of resistance, understanding the genetic basis of resistance through traditional genetics and molecular mapping; implementing molecular marker assisted selection, rust pathology and contribute to breeding focusing on additive, minor genes based resistance into widely adapted cultivars. Travel to CIMMYT experimental stations in Mexico and established rust phenotyping platforms will be required.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Analyze genetic and phenotypic data to understand the genetic basis of complex disease resistance such as rusts.
- Conduct field and greenhouse based studies for accurate phenotyping.
- Participate in breeding activities under the bread wheat program.
- Collaborate and work with a team of scientists at CIMMYT and International collaborators.
- This position requires travel to CIMMYT’s research stations in Mexico and limited international travel may be required.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- A recent PhD in plant genetics, breeding, quantitative genetics of wheat or other cereals.
- Experience with molecular biology techniques, knowledge of genetic data and statistical analysis (experimental design, linkage disequilibrium, mixed models, association studies, bi-parental and multi-parental mapping, genomic selection).
- Software knowledge: R, TASSEL, QTL cartographer, RQTL etc. programs for molecular marker data analysis, QTL mapping and GWAS in wheat or other cereals.
- Experience with field and greenhouse-based rust phenotyping.
- Publications in peer-reviewed international journals.
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English, with Spanish communication skills represent an advantage.
- Ability to form part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Experience in working in a multicultural team environment.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Goal Orientation, Proactivity, Multi-cultural Awareness/Sensitivity and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS19134_PDF/Associate Scientist in Wheat Rust Molecular Genetics and Pathology. Screening and follow up will begin on Thursday, August 29, 2019. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.mx.