The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the National Researcher – Participatory Action Research position based in our Southern Africa Office in Harare, Zimbabwe. This is a nationally recruited position open to all Zimbabweans with excellent academic records and relevant experience. The position will work closely with the country living lab coordinator and Agroecology team and strongly focus on participatory action research. The incumbent will contribute to the design and implementation of participatory action research techniques in the living lab to ensure farmer/community participation in all aspects of the research, including the design of research questions, survey tools, data collection, analysis of results and, ultimately, application of co-created solutions
- Contribute to the design and implementation of participatory action research techniques in the living lab to ensure farmer/community participation in all aspects of the research, including the design of research questions, survey tools, data collection, analysis of results and, ultimately, application of co-created solutions.
- Work with partners, farmers, communities, and other stakeholders to ensure open and effective communication and collaboration on all elements of research.
- Consider how local knowledge, within the specific context of the Zimbabwe living lab, can be integrated into project activities and contribute positively to the outcomes of the initiative.
- Contribute to the design and establishment of the national stakeholder platform in Zimbabwe to ensure representation of all key stakeholders, including the local communities and farmers and representation of women, youth and marginalized groups.
- Conduct participatory GIS mapping in the living lab context to understand agricultural practices, natural resource (including water) use, and ecosystem service provision.
- Provide support with situation/landscape analyses to identify the status of ecosystem services and natural resources within the living lab, including stakeholder mapping.
- Conduct systematic reviews and meta-analysis and synthesis to design an analytical framework map/identify the gaps, opportunities and synergies across water, land, ecosystem and food systems in Zimbabwe.
- Co-author reports (including work package reports and research reports) and papers and edit publications.
- Contribute to the design and participate in workshops and training events.
- Participate as appropriate in monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment processes, including reports of MELIA on Work Package 1 activities.
- Support the Initiative’s Communication activities.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Master’s degree from a reputable university in a relevant social science field (agricultural economics, development economics, environmental economics, natural resource management, sociology, geography, or related).
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, including working on research and development projects promoting, planning, designing, and implementing agricultural interventions
- Proven experience in working with local communities and designing and implementing participatory processes, including data collection
- Knowledge of GIS, including participatory GIS mapping
- Experience in capacity building and training programs for diverse participants.
- Excellent analytical and time management skills and ability to prioritize work & achieve stretch targets.
- Strong organization skills with the ability to multi-task and pay attention to detail
- Personal attributes include high standards of conduct, respect, flexibility, diplomacy, and sound work ethics.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, managers and other stakeholders
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English and the ability to speak Shona
- The selected candidate must demonstrate the following competencies: Critical Thinking, Communication, Problem-solving and Decision-Making, and the ability to work in a multicultural environment.
How to apply
To apply for this position Z22216, please apply online here no later than Wednesday, 9th November 2022. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.