The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
The Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) is a non-profit international research institute dedicated to food, nutrition and livelihood security as well as environmental rehabilitation in South Asia. BISA is a collaborative effort involving the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) and the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR). Please refer to our website for more information: https://bisa.org/
BISA is seeking a dynamic and self-motivated Molecular Breeder/Quantitative Geneticist with top class experience on genome wide association study (GWAS), genomic selection (GS) and quantitative genetics in wheat to join the CIMMYT global wheat improvement team at BISA working in collaboration with various national and international partners to develop adapted wheat germplasm for wheat growing environments of South Asia. The candidate will also be globally connected with wheat research in Africa and Latin America. The molecular breeder/quantitative geneticist will work closely with the Wheat Breeding teams in Mexico and with the National Partners in India and other countries of South Asia meeting the mandate of wheat improvement research of BISA. The position focuses on accelerating the genetic gain using molecular approaches, especially GWAS and GS, in developing adapted wheat varieties under growing challenges of biotic and abiotic stresses.
The position will be based in Ludhiana center of BISA in India.
- Enhance dynamic interaction with breeding/pathology programs in Mexico and National partners in India and other countries of South Asia.
- Engaging actively with National and international partners in GWAS, genomic selection, quantitative genetics and other emerging molecular approaches in wheat improvement
- Facilitate germplasm and data exchange, modernization of breeding/phenotyping including the use of database, optimized trial designs and multi-site data analysis.
- Work closely with National partners in genotyping grain yield, agronomic traits, disease resistance and grain Zn, selection of the best varietal candidates and parents in coordination with phenotyping platform at BISA and other centres.
- Engage and support partners with wheat blast phenotyping.
- Take part regularly in planning meetings with National partner’s breeding/pathology teams and specialized training courses designed to accelerate genetic gain using genomic tools.
- Support projects reporting.
- Publish scientific and technical findings as project-related publications and publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Other duties and responsibilities assigned as needed.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Strong interest in applied genomic selection, GWAS and other emerging molecular tools.
- PhD degree in breeding/genetics, preferably with wheat.
- 3-4 years of experience in applied molecular breeding research involving high level use of genomics.
- Experience with working at / or with CIMMYT or BISA.
- Experience with molecular genetics, genomic selection, databases, and analytical tools.
- An ability to communicate and collaborate effectively and build capacity.
- Demonstrated capacity to publish research findings in reputable peer-reviewed journals.
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively and respectfully and inclusively in a diverse, multicultural, multidisciplinary work environment.
- Significant amount of national and international (south Asia) travel for this position is required.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Problem solving and decision-making, Client orientation, Negotiation and conflict resolution, Communication and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. BISA (CIMMYT’s) internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS20142_ Molecular Breeder/Quantitative Geneticist. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Tuesday, January 5th 2021. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.