The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking experienced and resourceful machinery development officers (MDO) to join USAID funded agricultural development project focused on, scale-appropriate mechanization, light engineering manufacturers and provide training to agricultural machinery manufacturers, mechanics and agriculture machinery operators to support bosting up the agricultural machinery manufacturing industry in Bangladesh.
Multiple positions are opened based in Bogura, Jashore, Cox’s Bazar, and Faridpur which demand extensive field visit to different districts under the aforesaid field offices.
The posting place: Anywhere in Bangladesh.
- Implement fieldwork and training under the supervision of a Field Office Coordinator, with overall guidance from the CSISA MI project leader.
- Assist in the field demonstrations of new agricultural machinery, in close partnership with core partner organizations and the private sector.
- Organize and conduct training on agriculture machinery or related topics for Machinery Service Providers (MSPs), Government staff, agricultural engineers, mechanics, machinists and others as required by the project.
- Support and deliver training of trainers across a broad range of topics including, but not restricted to; light engineering, OH&S, manufacturing equipment, life skills, and workforce development.
- Assist in research activities, including development of machinery and survey focused research data collection in collaboration with farmers, agricultural service providers, and the public and private sector.
- Conduct industry needs assessments through visits, focus groups, and surveys as required and support international consultants during their assessments.
- Coordinate participatory trials on agricultural machinery, crop and resource conserving crop management in cereal-based systems as required.
- Collect and analyze monitoring data as per project requirements.
- Maintain data records, enter data into electronic data bases, and maintain data archiving and back-up systems.
- Interact and organize meetings with various stakeholders and partners, with a particular emphasis on core partner organizations and private sector, to discuss, streamline, and implement new agricultural machineries in the field.
- Help form partnerships with a wide-range clientele (including local service providers, farmers, NGOs, private and public sector organizations, and scientists) to evaluate and deliver agricultural machinery technologies that are appropriate to the diverse cropping systems and socioeconomic environments of Southern Bangladesh.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor degree in Industrial and Production Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or any other related engineering background to work with the machinery manufacturers.
- Minimum of two years of post-degree professional research and field extension experience. Prior experience working with the private sector in agriculture or light engineering is preferred.
- Demonstrated practical experience working with agricultural machinery (irrigation pumps, threshers, harvesters, tractors, or similar equipment).
- Demonstrated experience as a trainer in agricultural engineering, light engineering or relevant sector.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation and management of farmer-participatory agricultural field trials, preferably in an on-farm (non-research station) setting with particular emphasis on crop management in rice-, wheat-, or maize-based cropping systems, agricultural machinery, and/or irrigation management in Bangladesh.
- Ability to identify and finalize solutions to field problems (seeds, soil, and water management, integrated pest management, farm machinery, nutrient management, post-harvest operations).
- Good communication skills for training farmers, agricultural service providers, extension and outreach professionals, and private sector manufacturers and engineers/machinists.
- Should be able to drive motorcycles and a valid driving license for the same.
- Ability to travel and undertake fieldwork in rural contexts.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Creative and Critical Thinking, Communication, Client Orientation, and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of one year with a three-month initial probationary period, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds.
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and CV no later than 15 Sep,2021 to Human Resources, CIMMYT (Email: CIM-Recruitment-BD@cgiar.org) Please indicate Position Name & Job Ref no-B21125/26/27/28 in the subject of your email.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to CIM-Recruitment-BD@cgiar.org